With her shiny black bob and milky skin, Louise Brooks epitomized silent-film glamour. But in Laura Moriarty’s engaging new novel The Chaperone, Brooks is just a hyper-precocious and bratty 15-year-old, and our protagonist, 36-year-old Cora Carlisle, has the not-easy mission of keeping the teenager virtuous while on a trip from their native Kansas to New York City. After a battle of wills, there’s a sudden change of destiny for both women, with surprising and poignant results. B+
PRECOCIOUS STAR Moriarty's inspiring novel centers on silent-film star Louise Brooks in her teenage years
Genre: Fiction; Author: Laura Moriarty; Publisher: Riverhead
Posted May 25 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Dead & Company announce summer tour
- Super Bowl 50 scores second-biggest early TV ratings ever
- Megyn Kelly on her issue with the word 'feminist'
- The 17 most essential 1970s love songs
- Nominated for Nothing: 'Beasts of No Nation'
- 'Grey's Anatomy': Watch the aftermath of Meredith's brutal attack
- Margot Robbie gave someone a misspelled 'Suicide Squad' tattoo