Americans regard Capt. Chesley ”Sully” Sullenberger’s emergency landing on the Hudson River as a near-mythical act of true heroism. In this absurdist satire, a similar splash landing proves to be a full-scale hoax, not a miracle, and two passengers — a trafficker of celebrity sperm and a puppet-armed news anchor — find themselves at the center of the conspiracy. The cheeky send-up in This Is Your Captain Speaking is aggressively experimental, but Methven manages to tell an engaging story amid the antic high jinks. B+
CRASH LANDING Methven spins an absurd satire based on Capt. Chesley Sullenberger's emergency landing on the Hudson River
Genre: Fiction; Author: Jon Methven; Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Posted May 25 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Cartoon Hillary Clinton pokes fun of DNC drama with Stephen Colbert
- ‘Grey’s Anatomy’: Ellen Pompeo's choice to stay ‘based solely on age'
- Jimmy Kimmel's Baby Bachelorette contestants tell all
- Smash Mouth made an EDM song
- Seth Meyers to Bernie or Bust crowd: 'We don't have time for this'
- Man Booker Prize 2016 longlist revealed
- Michael Fassbender plays Frozen Blackjack with Jimmy Fallon
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels
- 'Friends': See the Cast's Evolution Over 10 Years