Americans regard Capt. Chesley ”Sully” Sullenberger’s emergency landing on the Hudson River as a near-mythical act of true heroism. In this absurdist satire, a similar splash landing proves to be a full-scale hoax, not a miracle, and two passengers — a trafficker of celebrity sperm and a puppet-armed news anchor — find themselves at the center of the conspiracy. The cheeky send-up in This Is Your Captain Speaking is aggressively experimental, but Methven manages to tell an engaging story amid the antic high jinks. B+
CRASH LANDING Methven spins an absurd satire based on Capt. Chesley Sullenberger's emergency landing on the Hudson River
Genre: Fiction; Author: Jon Methven; Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Posted May 25 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Supergirl': That big casualty 'weighs heavy' on Kara
- J.K. Simmons and Julie Delpy lead 'The Bachelors'
- Robert Schwentke drops out as director of final 'Divergent' film, 'Ascendant'
- Will Smith's 'Collateral Beauty' will go head-to-head with 'Rogue One'
- See 100 years of zombie evolution in time-lapse video
- Matt LeBlanc sitcom 'I'm Not Your Friend' gets pilot, series commitment at CBS
- 'The Magicians' postmortem: Does Julia regret nearly killing Quentin?