Americans regard Capt. Chesley ”Sully” Sullenberger’s emergency landing on the Hudson River as a near-mythical act of true heroism. In this absurdist satire, a similar splash landing proves to be a full-scale hoax, not a miracle, and two passengers — a trafficker of celebrity sperm and a puppet-armed news anchor — find themselves at the center of the conspiracy. The cheeky send-up in This Is Your Captain Speaking is aggressively experimental, but Methven manages to tell an engaging story amid the antic high jinks. B+
CRASH LANDING Methven spins an absurd satire based on Capt. Chesley Sullenberger's emergency landing on the Hudson River
Genre: Fiction; Author: Jon Methven; Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Posted May 25 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Bob Saget joins 'Fuller House,' says John Stamos in a tweet
- 'Wayward Pines' boss Chad Hodge talks episode 3: The Terrence Howard hymnal you didn't hear
- National Spelling Bee announces two champions
- '19 Kids & Counting' nix: Hulu exec says...
- Mariah Carey: 'Idol' was 'worst experience of my life'
- Kristen Bell live tweets her mistaken UberPool ride
- Casting Net: B.J. Novak joins Michael Keaton's 'The Founder,' Will Forte boards Key & Peele comedy