Celebrated bluegrass musician Doc Watson was admitted to Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center in Winston-Salem last week – and according to a message posted on the website of Folklore Productions International, he remains in critical condition following colon surgery. The Grammy-winning flatpicker – born Arthel Watson – was injured after falling in his Deep Gap home. The 89-year-old Watson received a Lifetime Achievement Award at the Grammys in 2004; he also received a National Medal of Arts in 1997.
Posted May 29 2012 — 10:46 AM EDT
- 'A Monster Calls' release set for awards season
- Sturgill Simpson slams Academy of Country Music over Merle Haggard Award
- 'The Fosters': EP gives hope for season 4B after that intense finale
- Natalie Portman has a good reason for not showing her son 'Star Wars'
- John Lennon's killer was denied parole for the ninth time
- Derek Hough confirms 'Dancing With the Stars' return
- Margaret Qualley dances, shoots lasers in Spike Jonze's perfume ad