Anders Danielsen Lie gives one of the great performances of the year as Anders, a 34-year-old Norwegian recovering heroin addict released from rehab on a day pass for a job interview. He tries to hold himself together, clean, as he wanders through Oslo revisiting people and places from his old life. The effort is agony. This second outstanding film from director Joachim Trier (2006’s Reprise, also starring Lie) is ”depressing”: Will Anders see his way to serenity or will he succumb? But Trier’s compassion for what it takes to survive, mixed with the love he bestows on Oslo, is rewardingly profound. A
OSLO, AUGUST 31ST Anders Danielsen Lie
Genre: Drama; Director: Joachim Trier; Release Date Limited: 05/25/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 96; Distributor: Strand Releasing
Posted May 29 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Grey's Anatomy' stars on Callie vs. Arizona custody battle
- Pharrell is getting his own action figure
- 'Star Wars' droids R2-D2 and C-3PO gave EW staffers a hilarious surprise
- Jon M. Chu in talks to direct adaptation of 'Crazy Rich Asians'
- 'SNL' taps Drake, Fred Armisen as season's final hosts
- Aly & AJ confirm they are making new music
- 'Scandal': Who will win the election? Our results are in...