Yes, his blood runs Canadian. But has anybody better embodied the spirit of ?classic American rock ?& roll than Neil Young? Americana is a flashback in more ways than one: Not only does it reconvene Young’s proto-grunge backing band Crazy Horse ?for the first time since 1996, but it also consists of reworkings of Dust Bowl-era folk tunes. Young clearly loves jamming with his favorite fuzzmongers again — there’s an unbridled glee that oozes between the blistering solos on sneering, sideways renditions of campfire sing-alongs like ”Oh Susanna” and ”This Land Is Your Land.” Even on the 66-year-old’s 34th album, Young still has fire in his belly and fun in his fingers. A?
HORSING AROUND In his 34th album, Young reunites with Crazy Horse for campfire tunes and folk music (Kevin Mazur/Getty Images)
Posted June 6 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I’m Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- Jon Bon Jovi wrote a new song for the Rutgers' class of 2015
- Nicki Minaj drops 'The Night Is Still Young' video on Tidal
- TLC yanks '19 Kids and Counting' reruns
- Kanye West's 'All Day' gets misheard lyrics video from Joe Mande
- Robert De Niro to grads: 'You're f---ed'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!