Yes, his blood runs Canadian. But has anybody better embodied the spirit of ?classic American rock ?& roll than Neil Young? Americana is a flashback in more ways than one: Not only does it reconvene Young’s proto-grunge backing band Crazy Horse ?for the first time since 1996, but it also consists of reworkings of Dust Bowl-era folk tunes. Young clearly loves jamming with his favorite fuzzmongers again — there’s an unbridled glee that oozes between the blistering solos on sneering, sideways renditions of campfire sing-alongs like ”Oh Susanna” and ”This Land Is Your Land.” Even on the 66-year-old’s 34th album, Young still has fire in his belly and fun in his fingers. A?
HORSING AROUND In his 34th album, Young reunites with Crazy Horse for campfire tunes and folk music (Kevin Mazur/Getty Images)
Posted June 6 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Hannibal' music supervisor on working with Siouxsie Sioux for the finale's song
- Hugh Dancy explains that shocking 'Hannibal' series finale
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!