Whenever a topline MC has a track in need of a guest-spot adrenaline shot, he asks Siri to summon Waka Flocka, who swoops in like a caffeinated Batman and unleashes his shout-first-ask-questions-later squall. The Queens-born, Atlanta-bred ”No Hands” rapper’s guttural lung-busting is ideal for cameos, but those same traits make for an exhausting album-length presence. Several tracks in, his second disc begins to bow under the weight of its own aggro intensity. That leaves his own bevy of A-list guests — including Nicki Minaj, Drake, and an especially elastic Ludacris — to bring some fresh jujitsu to Waka’s flailing fight game, and provide occasional respite from Triple F Life’s single-minded mania. B?
ALL SQUALL The Queens-born king of cameos sinks under the weight of his own lung power, ironically relying on his own collaborators to carry the album (Kevin Winter/Getty Images)
Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap; Lead Performer: Waka Flocka Flame; Music Label: Warner Bros.
Posted June 6 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Catch' costume designer joins Betsy Beers on Shondaland Revealed
- Drake releases new album 'Views' on iTunes
- 'Orphan Black' creators talk mystery of Delphine's disappearance
- Bernie Sanders transforms into a perfect George in 'Seinfeld'
- Emilia Clarke, Sam Claflin get smitten in 'Me Before You' trailer
- 'Nice Guys' Ryan Gosling, Russell Crowe go retro in '70s-style trailer
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star reacts to Stephanie's cold move