Whenever a topline MC has a track in need of a guest-spot adrenaline shot, he asks Siri to summon Waka Flocka, who swoops in like a caffeinated Batman and unleashes his shout-first-ask-questions-later squall. The Queens-born, Atlanta-bred ”No Hands” rapper’s guttural lung-busting is ideal for cameos, but those same traits make for an exhausting album-length presence. Several tracks in, his second disc begins to bow under the weight of its own aggro intensity. That leaves his own bevy of A-list guests — including Nicki Minaj, Drake, and an especially elastic Ludacris — to bring some fresh jujitsu to Waka’s flailing fight game, and provide occasional respite from Triple F Life’s single-minded mania. B?
ALL SQUALL The Queens-born king of cameos sinks under the weight of his own lung power, ironically relying on his own collaborators to carry the album (Kevin Winter/Getty Images)
Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap; Lead Performer: Waka Flocka Flame; Music Label: Warner Bros.
Posted June 6 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Marvel’s 'Jessica Jones' casts 'Grey’s Anatomy' alum Rachael Taylor
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE drops Gavin DeGraw collaboration 'Brother'—exclusive premiere
- Elena of Avalor will be Disney's first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters