This is the kind of cutely alienated indie relationship comedy that Lena Dunham’s HBO series Girls has made irrelevant. Lola (Greta Gerwig), dumped by her fiancé falls into a tailspin of…cozy dating. She allows her menschy friend (Hamish Linklater) to nudge her toward romance. She also keeps seeing her ex-fiancé Joel Kinnaman, a Gen-Y Denis Leary) and gets seduced by a yuppie (Ebon Moss-Bachrach) who sings along with Ani DiFranco during sex (Lola Versus’ one funny scene). Gerwig is adorable, but that’s both good and bad, as the movie can’t stop cuing us to see that Lola’s winsomeness will rescue her. B-
LOLA VERSUS Hamish Linklater as Henry and Greta Gerwig as Lola (Myles Aronowitz)
Starring: Greta Gerwig, Joel Kinnaman; Release Date Limited: 06/08/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 87; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted June 8 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Office Christmas Party' directors say film is 'life-affirming,' 'really f---ed up'
- 'La La Land': Emma Stone, Ryan Gosling dazzle in dreamy exclusive image
- David Beckham, Emma Stone, and Drake freak out in David Blaine promo
- 'Mean Girls' star on sequel: 'Can we do this already?!'
- 'Supergirl': Chris Wood on whether Mon-El is 'superhero material'
- Bob Dylan finally acknowledges his Nobel Prize
- Why 'Pumpkinhead' is the perfect Halloween movie