This is the kind of cutely alienated indie relationship comedy that Lena Dunham’s HBO series Girls has made irrelevant. Lola (Greta Gerwig), dumped by her fiancé falls into a tailspin of…cozy dating. She allows her menschy friend (Hamish Linklater) to nudge her toward romance. She also keeps seeing her ex-fiancé Joel Kinnaman, a Gen-Y Denis Leary) and gets seduced by a yuppie (Ebon Moss-Bachrach) who sings along with Ani DiFranco during sex (Lola Versus’ one funny scene). Gerwig is adorable, but that’s both good and bad, as the movie can’t stop cuing us to see that Lola’s winsomeness will rescue her. B-
LOLA VERSUS Hamish Linklater as Henry and Greta Gerwig as Lola (Myles Aronowitz)
Starring: Greta Gerwig, Joel Kinnaman; Runtime (in minutes): 87; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Adrianne Palicki talks 'Agents of SHIELD' and Bobbi: 'a really interesting struggle for her'
- 'Justified': Jere Burns on Mikey's loyalty and THAT scene
- 'Being Mary Jane' director on portraying racism on TV
- 'Finding Carter' returns with its best hour yet
- 'Cougar Town' series finale: How the cul-de-sac crew said goodbye
- Casting Net: Hugh Jackman in 'Apostle Paul,' Stephen Amell in 'TMNT 2'
- Joni Mitchell hospitalized
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!