This is the kind of cutely alienated indie relationship comedy that Lena Dunham’s HBO series Girls has made irrelevant. Lola (Greta Gerwig), dumped by her fiancé falls into a tailspin of…cozy dating. She allows her menschy friend (Hamish Linklater) to nudge her toward romance. She also keeps seeing her ex-fiancé Joel Kinnaman, a Gen-Y Denis Leary) and gets seduced by a yuppie (Ebon Moss-Bachrach) who sings along with Ani DiFranco during sex (Lola Versus’ one funny scene). Gerwig is adorable, but that’s both good and bad, as the movie can’t stop cuing us to see that Lola’s winsomeness will rescue her. B-
LOLA VERSUS Hamish Linklater as Henry and Greta Gerwig as Lola (Myles Aronowitz)
Starring: Greta Gerwig, Joel Kinnaman; Runtime (in minutes): 87; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted June 8 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Ghostbusters' new car: Paul Feig reveals #whattheygonnadrive
- Gay marriage ruling movie in the works at Fox
- Casting Net: Ellen Page signs on for Iraq War drama Lioness
- Hillary Clinton talks 'SNL' impressions
- Miss USA pageant names new hosts
- Rosie Perez leaving 'The View'
- Jeff Goldblum and wife welcome first son on the only possible day
- 'American Idol Live!' tour photos: Let's go backstage!
- They look like THAT now? See some of the latest child stars all grown up
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- Khloé Kardashian, Paul Rudd, Taylor Swift & More!