This is the kind of cutely alienated indie relationship comedy that Lena Dunham’s HBO series Girls has made irrelevant. Lola (Greta Gerwig), dumped by her fiancé falls into a tailspin of…cozy dating. She allows her menschy friend (Hamish Linklater) to nudge her toward romance. She also keeps seeing her ex-fiancé Joel Kinnaman, a Gen-Y Denis Leary) and gets seduced by a yuppie (Ebon Moss-Bachrach) who sings along with Ani DiFranco during sex (Lola Versus’ one funny scene). Gerwig is adorable, but that’s both good and bad, as the movie can’t stop cuing us to see that Lola’s winsomeness will rescue her. B-
LOLA VERSUS Hamish Linklater as Henry and Greta Gerwig as Lola (Myles Aronowitz)
Starring: Greta Gerwig, Joel Kinnaman; Runtime (in minutes): 87; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted June 8 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt
- Comedian Matt Braunger on pilot season, his new album 'Big Dumb Animal,' and the science of titles