In animation, the next best thing to a grand vision is crack comic timing. The third chapter in the saga of Alex the lion (Ben Stiller) and his Central Park Zoo pals — now nostalgic for New York after their foray into Africa — has timing up the wazoo. It’s there in a (literally) over-the-top chase through the skies of Monte Carlo, in the grouchy fun of a troupe of Euro circus animals our heroes hook up with, and in bits like Marty the zebra (Chris Rock) singing a circus jingle inspired by his psychedelic Afro wig. The story in Madagascar 3 is functional, but the antically civilized spirit is infectious. B+
MADAGASCAR 3: EUROPE'S MOST WANTED Marty the Zebra (Chris Rock, left) is safe in the arms of Vitaly the Tiger (Bryan Cranston, right) (Dreamworks)
Genre: Animation; Starring: Chris Rock, Ben Stiller; Release Date Wide: 06/08/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 83; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Paramount Pictures
Posted June 13 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Diane Keaton joins Jude Law for HBO's 'The Young Pope'
- Someone's made a 'Breaking Bad'-inspired coffee shop
- Netflix cancels 'Lilyhammer' after three seasons
- More Meryl, less Springfield in the new 'Ricki and the Flash' trailer
- Unwrap the red-band trailer for 'The Night Before'
- Netflix: Bill Cosby special not 'appropriate' to release
- Terry O'Quinn joins 'Secrets and Lies' for season 2
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!