The plot of this subdued thriller about an unraveling American novelist (Ethan Hawke) in the City of Light is heavy on mood and murk. But Pawel Pawlikowski, director of My Summer of Love (the superb 2004 drama that launched Emily Blunt), creates a nice sense of paranoia and multicultural bewilderment that’s the welcome tonal opposite of Woody Allen’s romanticized Midnight in Paris fripperies. Hawke is suitably miserable-looking as a writer who, while estranged from his Paris-based wife and missing his young daughter, drifts into shadowy underworld employment and an intense relationship with an alluring, mysterious woman (Kristin Scott Thomas, laying it on) living in the title arrondissement. (Also available on VOD) B-
CITY OF LIGHTS Kristin Scott Thomas and Ethan Hawke have an intense relationship in The Woman in the Fifth (Jean-Claude Lother)
Starring: Ethan Hawke, Kristin Scott-Thomas; Release Date Limited: 06/15/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 83; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: ATO Pictures
Posted June 15 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Read an exclusive excerpt from 'Warm Bodies' prequel 'The New Hunger' -- and see the cover
- A-Trak reveals the soundtrack to his life
- Label CEO says company has naming rights to Chief Keef's baby
- Celine Dion revives Las Vegas residency following yearlong hiatus
- Hugh Dancy and Gillian Anderson get philosophical in exclusive 'Hannibal' finale clip
- Eddie Redmayne and Alicia Vikander stun in new 'Danish Girl' poster
- Get to know The Weeknd through his 9 best deep cuts
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Emma Watson, Matt Damon, Helena Bonham Carter & More!