When you’re the freakiest cat in R&B, sometimes the most shocking thing to do is play it straight: 2010’s Love Letter set aside Kelly’s fantasies about voyeur-istic midgets in favor of stately Sam Cooke-inspired jams. Write Me Back keeps the throwbacks coming, ensconcing his creamy croon in dramatic ’70s-nightclub strings and funky bedspread disco. His raison d’être is still Patrón-and-incense hedonism, but Kelly’s party-host earnestness is far more infectious than his three-way scenarios ever were. A-
NIGHTCLUB JAMS R. Kelly gets his groove back in this throwback album that melds funk and disco sounds (RCA Music Group)
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: R. Kelly; Music Label: RCA
Posted June 27 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kelly Clarkson is 'Invincible' in new music video
- Little Mix debuts 'Black Magic' video
- Kip Moore previews new album 'Wild Ones'
- Original Pocahontas voice actress Judy Kuhn sings ‘Colors of the Wind’ in different styles
- Franz Ferdinand and Sparks collaboration, FFS, drops video for 'Call Girl'
- 'Kung Fury' is the most insane, over-the-top '80s action movie you never saw