When you’re the freakiest cat in R&B, sometimes the most shocking thing to do is play it straight: 2010’s Love Letter set aside Kelly’s fantasies about voyeur-istic midgets in favor of stately Sam Cooke-inspired jams. Write Me Back keeps the throwbacks coming, ensconcing his creamy croon in dramatic ’70s-nightclub strings and funky bedspread disco. His raison d’être is still Patrón-and-incense hedonism, but Kelly’s party-host earnestness is far more infectious than his three-way scenarios ever were. A-
NIGHTCLUB JAMS R. Kelly gets his groove back in this throwback album that melds funk and disco sounds (RCA Music Group)
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: R. Kelly; Status: In Season; Music Label: RCA
Posted June 27 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Once Upon a Time' bosses answer burning Q's on Emma
- 'Downton Abbey' boss breaks down season 5 finale's biggest surprises
- 'Focus' is weekend's No. 1 movie: $19.1M
- 'Walking Dead': Tovah Feldshuh on her arrival as...
- 'Walking Dead' director Greg Nicotero on 'Remember'--and the scenes we didn't see
- Margot Robbie's 'Focus' audition: 'craziest 24 hours'
- Leonard Nimoy's Mr. Spock: A tribute to the humane spirit