When you’re the freakiest cat in R&B, sometimes the most shocking thing to do is play it straight: 2010’s Love Letter set aside Kelly’s fantasies about voyeur-istic midgets in favor of stately Sam Cooke-inspired jams. Write Me Back keeps the throwbacks coming, ensconcing his creamy croon in dramatic ’70s-nightclub strings and funky bedspread disco. His raison d’être is still Patrón-and-incense hedonism, but Kelly’s party-host earnestness is far more infectious than his three-way scenarios ever were. A-
NIGHTCLUB JAMS R. Kelly gets his groove back in this throwback album that melds funk and disco sounds (RCA Music Group)
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: R. Kelly; Music Label: RCA
Posted June 27 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Dubsmash Wars: Clark Gregg already has a video planned for the losing team
- EW Fest lineup includes Tina Fey, Aziz Ansari, 'X-Files' team, Ryan Murphy & more
- How Shaq became a children's book author with 'Little Shaq'
- Cassandra Clare reveals cover for new Shadowhunters novel 'Lady Midnight'
- Billy Eichner is back on 'Bob's Burgers' as loud librarian Mr. Ambrose
- Brie Larson to replace Jennifer Lawrence in 'Glass Castle' adaptation
- Diane Keaton and John Goodman struggle through Christmas in 'Love the Coopers' trailer