The Jurassic Park franchise has been dormant since 2001’s oddball Jurassic Park III (a.k.a. ”the one with William H. Macy”). But EW has confirmed that Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver — the married screenwriting duo behind last year’s surprise-hit reboot Rise of the Planet of the Apes — are in final negotiations to write a fourth Jurassic Park. They’re hardly the first to take a swing at drafting another installment of the franchise: William Monahan (Body of Lies) tried in 2002, only to have his script rewritten by John Sayles (Lone Star), who reportedly introduced gun-toting dinosaur soldiers. The project seemed extinct until last year’s Comic-Con, where executive producer Steven Spielberg, who directed the first two films, announced plans to make a fourth ”in the next two or three years.” At the time, Spielberg was working with screenwriter Mark Protosevich (Thor, I Am Legend). It’s unclear if Jaffa and Silver will be working with an old treatment or starting from scratch. Either way, Universal is undoubtedly eager to bring this series — which has grossed nearly $2 billion worldwide — back from the dead.
Posted June 29 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Green Hornet' star Van Williams dies at 82
- 'Baywatch' is hitting the beach on Memorial Day weekend
- Beyoncé was already a star at age 10, unearthed footage proves
- See Madonna twerk to 'Bitch I'm Madonna' on Carpool Karaoke
- 'Major League' star Margaret Whitton dies at 67
- 'Supergirl': Will we ever meet Earth-1 Kara Danvers?
- 'How to Train Your Dragon 3' delayed until 2019
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday