Margot (Michelle Williams), a Toronto freelance writer, is cozily married to Lou (Seth Rogen), an author of cookbooks. But when she meets a hunky rickshaw driver (Luke Kirby), she melts — and so does everything about her life. The movie melts too, in good ways and bad. Directing her second film (after Away From Her), Sarah Polley digs into the ambiguity of Margot’s motivations, and Williams wears messy feelings on the outside. But by never standing back from Margot, the movie courts vagueness as well. (Also available on VOD) B-
LONELY WIFE Michelle Williams struggles with her marriage in Take This Waltz (Michael Gibson)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Luke Kirby, Seth Rogen, Sarah Silverman, Michelle Williams; Director: Sarah Polley; Release Date Limited: 06/29/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 106; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Magnolia Pictures
Posted June 29 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- What EW staffers are thankful for this year
- Big Apple Circus performer juggles at 'Hamilton' pre-show
- The year in Shondaland: A look back with Shonda Rhimes & her leading ladies
- Colbert tackles Thanksgiving controversies on 'The Late Show'
- New 'Star Wars' spot returns us to last year's teaser
- Uzo Aduba explains what it's like to perform alongside Taylor Swift
- Jimmy Fallon and Nathan Lane play 'Kid Dictionary'