There’s nothing that raises the blood pressure more than a destination wedding. As Maggie Shipstead’s delightful debut novel proves, this is particularly true when two wonderfully dysfunctional WASPy families, a gaggle of temptress bridesmaids, and one rowdy groomsman are all ensconced on a picturesque Nantucket-like island off the New England shore for a three-day wedding-weekend extravaganza. Shipstead writes with clarity and confidence, nimbly dropping into multiple characters’ heads, giving each a distinct voice and point of view but always with great wit and heart. Seating Arrangements brims with sharp observations about love, lust, family, and the real meaning of marital bliss. A-
WEDDING SHENANIGANS Shipstead delves into the lives of a dysfunctional wedding party and explores the meaning of marriage
Genre: Fiction; Author: Maggie Shipstead; Publisher: Knopf
Posted July 3 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Casting Net: Morgan Freeman leads up action film 'Down to a Sunless Sea'
- The Bachelorette: And the 'winner' is ...
- Richard Linklater in talks to direct Jennifer Lawrence in 'The Rosie Project'
- 'All the Bright Places' starring Elle Fanning finds its director
- HBO developing Wild West drama series Untamed
- Ann Rule, true-crime author, dies at 83
- 'Vampire Diaries,' 'Originals' add a bunch of new faces
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Matthew & Keri, Katy Perry, Cate Blanchett & More!