There’s nothing that raises the blood pressure more than a destination wedding. As Maggie Shipstead’s delightful debut novel proves, this is particularly true when two wonderfully dysfunctional WASPy families, a gaggle of temptress bridesmaids, and one rowdy groomsman are all ensconced on a picturesque Nantucket-like island off the New England shore for a three-day wedding-weekend extravaganza. Shipstead writes with clarity and confidence, nimbly dropping into multiple characters’ heads, giving each a distinct voice and point of view but always with great wit and heart. Seating Arrangements brims with sharp observations about love, lust, family, and the real meaning of marital bliss. A-
WEDDING SHENANIGANS Shipstead delves into the lives of a dysfunctional wedding party and explores the meaning of marriage
Genre: Fiction; Author: Maggie Shipstead; Publisher: Knopf
Posted July 3 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Barack Obama slams Donald Trump at DNC: 'We don’t look to be ruled'
- 'Con Man': Alan Tudyk and Nathan Fillion want a ‘Spectrum’ movie
- See President Obama's DNC intro video, narrated by Bryan Cranston
- Michael Keaton on 'Beetlejuice' sequel: 'It's possible that ship has sailed'
- 'Another Period' guest blog: Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on latest episode
- 'Barely Famous': Sara, Erin Foster on celebrity stalkers, TV industry
- Lenny Kravitz asks to 'Let Love Rule' for DNC performance
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels