There’s nothing that raises the blood pressure more than a destination wedding. As Maggie Shipstead’s delightful debut novel proves, this is particularly true when two wonderfully dysfunctional WASPy families, a gaggle of temptress bridesmaids, and one rowdy groomsman are all ensconced on a picturesque Nantucket-like island off the New England shore for a three-day wedding-weekend extravaganza. Shipstead writes with clarity and confidence, nimbly dropping into multiple characters’ heads, giving each a distinct voice and point of view but always with great wit and heart. Seating Arrangements brims with sharp observations about love, lust, family, and the real meaning of marital bliss. A-
WEDDING SHENANIGANS Shipstead delves into the lives of a dysfunctional wedding party and explores the meaning of marriage
Genre: Fiction; Author: Maggie Shipstead; Publisher: Knopf
Posted July 3 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 5 best non-singles from Kanye West's 'Late Registration' on its 10th anniversary
- 'Supernatural': Jensen Ackles talks season 11's female big bad
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!