The Chinese artist and activist Ai Weiwei has achieved a prominence that makes him, in effect, the Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn of the Twitter age. He’s also the least stuffy of dissidents, and Alison Klayman’s stirring, important documentary catches his complex humanity. For years Ai has been allowed to express himself — in conceptual art, Internet docs, and merrily moralistic tweets — due to the political reform in China (though he’s aware he could be jailed at any time, and has been). Yet he insists on illuminating the darkest corners of what is still a dictatorship. Klayman spent months with Ai in his Beijing home studio, and also in London and Munich, where he stages art shows of stunning vastness. He radiates a mischievous sense of the absurdity — and necessity — of one man tossing stones at a regime this gigantic. A
Ai Weiwei: Never SorryThe Chinese artist and activist Ai Weiwei has achieved a prominence that makes him, in effect, the Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn of the Twitter age. He's also...Ai Weiwei: Never SorryPT91MRThe Chinese artist and activist Ai Weiwei has achieved a prominence that makes him, in effect, the Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn of the Twitter age. He's also...2012-07-27
AI WEIWEI: NEVER SORRY Ai Weiwei (Ted Alcorn)
Runtime (in minutes): 91; MPAA Rating: R
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Domhnall Gleeson talks 'Star Wars' while playing 'Star Wars'
- Match these 'Star Wars' characters with their home worlds
- Quicksilver vs. Quicksilver: How 'Avengers' and 'X-Men' introduced the same character differently
- Chris Brown a suspect in Vegas battery
- 'Scrubs' stars Zach Braff, Donald Faison to appear on 'Undateable'
- Will Poulter cast as Pennywise in Cary Fukunaga's 'It'
- Jimmy Fallon and Blur sing 'Tender' and it's, well, tender
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Britney Spears, Orlando Bloom, Solange & More!