Metropolitan Opera general manager Peter Gelb was so excited about staging a new production of Richard Wagner’s monumental Ring cycle that he invited filmmaker Susan Froemke to document the process. That was five years ago, before anyone had laid eyes on the massive machinery that would eventually be built to satisfy the famously inventive Quebecois theater director Robert Lepage — and Wagner’s own production dreams. With her documentarian’s passion for unmediated ”direct cinema,” Froemke kept her eyes open. The result is an engrossing chronicle of creative people under pressure, a movie about the madness of opera for which no knowledge of opera is required for full enjoyment. Of particular delight: the friendly openness of the great American dramatic soprano Deborah Voigt — a Brünnhilde to reckon with. A-
Wagner's DreamMetropolitan Opera general manager Peter Gelb was so excited about staging a new production of Richard Wagner's monumental Ring cycle that he invited...Wagner's DreamDocumentaryPT115MMetropolitan Opera general manager Peter Gelb was so excited about staging a new production of Richard Wagner's monumental Ring cycle that he invited...2012-07-27
WAGNER'S DREAM Deborah Voigt and Jay Hunter Morris (Ken Howard)
Genre: Documentary; Runtime (in minutes): 115
Posted July 27 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Can the 'Legends of Tomorrow' ever truly defeat Vandal Savage?
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on how he was forced into 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'
- Casting Net: Taraji P. Henson to star in Hidden Figures
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Ellen Pompeo on Meredith-centric midseason return
- Nasim Pedrad to play teenage boy in Fox pilot 'Chad: An American Boy'
- A house divided in 'House of Cards' season 4 trailer
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival casts former 'Bunheads' star Sutton Foster
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday