Metropolitan Opera general manager Peter Gelb was so excited about staging a new production of Richard Wagner’s monumental Ring cycle that he invited filmmaker Susan Froemke to document the process. That was five years ago, before anyone had laid eyes on the massive machinery that would eventually be built to satisfy the famously inventive Quebecois theater director Robert Lepage — and Wagner’s own production dreams. With her documentarian’s passion for unmediated ”direct cinema,” Froemke kept her eyes open. The result is an engrossing chronicle of creative people under pressure, a movie about the madness of opera for which no knowledge of opera is required for full enjoyment. Of particular delight: the friendly openness of the great American dramatic soprano Deborah Voigt — a Brünnhilde to reckon with. A-
Wagner's DreamMetropolitan Opera general manager Peter Gelb was so excited about staging a new production of Richard Wagner's monumental Ring cycle that he invited...Wagner's DreamDocumentaryPT115MMetropolitan Opera general manager Peter Gelb was so excited about staging a new production of Richard Wagner's monumental Ring cycle that he invited...2012-07-27
WAGNER'S DREAM Deborah Voigt and Jay Hunter Morris (Ken Howard)
Genre: Documentary; Runtime (in minutes): 115
Posted July 27 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Bible' series won't return to NBC
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!