Metropolitan Opera general manager Peter Gelb was so excited about staging a new production of Richard Wagner’s monumental Ring cycle that he invited filmmaker Susan Froemke to document the process. That was five years ago, before anyone had laid eyes on the massive machinery that would eventually be built to satisfy the famously inventive Quebecois theater director Robert Lepage — and Wagner’s own production dreams. With her documentarian’s passion for unmediated ”direct cinema,” Froemke kept her eyes open. The result is an engrossing chronicle of creative people under pressure, a movie about the madness of opera for which no knowledge of opera is required for full enjoyment. Of particular delight: the friendly openness of the great American dramatic soprano Deborah Voigt — a Brünnhilde to reckon with. A-
Wagner's DreamMetropolitan Opera general manager Peter Gelb was so excited about staging a new production of Richard Wagner's monumental Ring cycle that he invited...Wagner's DreamDocumentaryPT115MMetropolitan Opera general manager Peter Gelb was so excited about staging a new production of Richard Wagner's monumental Ring cycle that he invited...2012-07-27
WAGNER'S DREAM Deborah Voigt and Jay Hunter Morris (Ken Howard)
Genre: Documentary; Runtime (in minutes): 115
Posted July 27 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Tomorrowland': What did the critics think?
- 'Golan the Insatiable' with Aubrey Plaza and Rob Riggle: First Look trailer
- Amy Schumer and Paul Feig to pair up for new comedy
- 'Outlander,' 'SVU,' 'Graceland,' more fresh TV spoilers
- 'Supergirl' leaked to piracy sites
- Read your way through New Orleans
- The 50 Most Watched Broadcast Shows of 2014-15
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Melissa McCarthy: Did you know she was in...?
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!