Metropolitan Opera general manager Peter Gelb was so excited about staging a new production of Richard Wagner’s monumental Ring cycle that he invited filmmaker Susan Froemke to document the process. That was five years ago, before anyone had laid eyes on the massive machinery that would eventually be built to satisfy the famously inventive Quebecois theater director Robert Lepage — and Wagner’s own production dreams. With her documentarian’s passion for unmediated ”direct cinema,” Froemke kept her eyes open. The result is an engrossing chronicle of creative people under pressure, a movie about the madness of opera for which no knowledge of opera is required for full enjoyment. Of particular delight: the friendly openness of the great American dramatic soprano Deborah Voigt — a Brünnhilde to reckon with. A-
Wagner's DreamMetropolitan Opera general manager Peter Gelb was so excited about staging a new production of Richard Wagner's monumental Ring cycle that he invited...Wagner's DreamDocumentaryPT115MMetropolitan Opera general manager Peter Gelb was so excited about staging a new production of Richard Wagner's monumental Ring cycle that he invited...2012-07-27
WAGNER'S DREAM Deborah Voigt and Jay Hunter Morris (Ken Howard)
Genre: Documentary; Runtime (in minutes): 115
Posted July 27 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Modest Mouse share 'Of Course We Know,' announce tour dates
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt