Consumerized kiddie flicks like The Cat in the Hat leech the soul out of children’s classics. There’s a reason that doesn’t happen with Alvin and the Chipmunks: Those babyish sped-up voices are really all there is to them. It’s cutesy-funny-adorable to hear Alvin, Simon, and Theodore do chimed choruses of ”Bad Day” and ”Funkytown.” But once the amiable Dave (Jason Lee) lands them a record deal, an evil mogul turns them into massified robo-pop drones — and so, unfortunately, does the movie. C+
Genre: Kids and Family, Animation, Comedy; Starring: Jason Lee, David Cross, Justin Long, Jesse McCartney; Director: Tim Hill; Author: Will McRobb, Chris Viscardi, Jon Vitti; Release Date Wide: 12/14/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted July 28 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Casting Net: James Marsden, Rosario Dawson, more lend voices to 'Henchmen'
- Bruce Jenner in photo shoot as woman
- Judy Greer and Nat Faxon preview 'Married' season 2
- Universal TV to adapt 'The Wicked + The Divine' comic for TV
- Emma Stone as an Asian-American in 'Aloha': Who's buying it?
- Iggy Azalea cancels Great Escape Tour
- Marvel contest gives teen girls the chance to attend 'Ant-Man' premiere
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 best festivals
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 biggest albums
- TV Season Finale Awards: YOUR 2015 winners are...
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- Cruel Intentions Reunion, Kim Kardashian, Soleil & Demi and More!