Consumerized kiddie flicks like The Cat in the Hat leech the soul out of children’s classics. There’s a reason that doesn’t happen with Alvin and the Chipmunks: Those babyish sped-up voices are really all there is to them. It’s cutesy-funny-adorable to hear Alvin, Simon, and Theodore do chimed choruses of ”Bad Day” and ”Funkytown.” But once the amiable Dave (Jason Lee) lands them a record deal, an evil mogul turns them into massified robo-pop drones — and so, unfortunately, does the movie. C+
Genre: Kids and Family, Animation, Comedy; Starring: Jason Lee, David Cross, Justin Long, Jesse McCartney; Director: Tim Hill; Author: Will McRobb, Chris Viscardi, Jon Vitti; Release Date Wide: 12/14/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted July 28 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'iZombie' season 2 trailer teases what (or who) is on the menu for Liv Moore
- Casting Net: Mad Men star Jessica Pare cast in Lovesick
- 'Can't Buy Me Love' star Amanda Peterson's cause of death was an overdose
- Sony reaches settlement in hacking lawsuits
- Stephen Colbert counters Jeb Bush's 'Late Show' raffle with his own contest
- On the set of 'American Horror Story: Hotel': A foursome with Lady Gaga and Matt Bomer
- Steven Spielberg’s DreamWorks could leave Disney next year
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!