Consumerized kiddie flicks like The Cat in the Hat leech the soul out of children’s classics. There’s a reason that doesn’t happen with Alvin and the Chipmunks: Those babyish sped-up voices are really all there is to them. It’s cutesy-funny-adorable to hear Alvin, Simon, and Theodore do chimed choruses of ”Bad Day” and ”Funkytown.” But once the amiable Dave (Jason Lee) lands them a record deal, an evil mogul turns them into massified robo-pop drones — and so, unfortunately, does the movie. C+
Genre: Kids and Family, Animation, Comedy; Starring: Jason Lee, David Cross, Justin Long, Jesse McCartney; Director: Tim Hill; Author: Will McRobb, Chris Viscardi, Jon Vitti; Release Date Wide: 12/14/2007; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): In Season; MPAA Rating: In Season; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted July 28 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters