Consumerized kiddie flicks like The Cat in the Hat leech the soul out of children’s classics. There’s a reason that doesn’t happen with Alvin and the Chipmunks: Those babyish sped-up voices are really all there is to them. It’s cutesy-funny-adorable to hear Alvin, Simon, and Theodore do chimed choruses of ”Bad Day” and ”Funkytown.” But once the amiable Dave (Jason Lee) lands them a record deal, an evil mogul turns them into massified robo-pop drones — and so, unfortunately, does the movie. C+
Genre: Kids and Family, Animation, Comedy; Starring: Jason Lee, David Cross, Justin Long, Jesse McCartney; Director: Tim Hill; Author: Will McRobb, Chris Viscardi, Jon Vitti; Release Date Wide: 12/14/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted July 28 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Oscars 2016: Michael B. Jordan, Daisy Ridley, Cate Blanchett join presenters
- Miramax, Roadside in talks to distribute Obama romance movie 'Southside With You'
- Kanye West does not even pretend to enjoy being in 'SNL' promos
- Hannibal Buress joins Dwayne Johnson in 'Baywatch'
- 'The X-Files': Mulder and Scully meet their doppelgängers in this exclusive clip
- Andrew Dice Clay talks 'Vinyl': 'Record company guys were out of their f---ing minds!'
- 'Dawson's Creek' revival not likely, says Katie Holmes