Consumerized kiddie flicks like The Cat in the Hat leech the soul out of children’s classics. There’s a reason that doesn’t happen with Alvin and the Chipmunks: Those babyish sped-up voices are really all there is to them. It’s cutesy-funny-adorable to hear Alvin, Simon, and Theodore do chimed choruses of ”Bad Day” and ”Funkytown.” But once the amiable Dave (Jason Lee) lands them a record deal, an evil mogul turns them into massified robo-pop drones — and so, unfortunately, does the movie. C+
Genre: Kids and Family, Animation, Comedy; Starring: Jason Lee, David Cross, Justin Long, Jesse McCartney; Director: Tim Hill; Author: Will McRobb, Chris Viscardi, Jon Vitti; Release Date Wide: 12/14/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- Harvey Weinstein is facing sexual assault allegations
- Evan Rachel Wood and Brandon Flowers go back to the 19th century for 'Can't Deny My Love' music video
- Death Cab for Cutie open up about 'Kintsugi' and conscious uncoupling with Chris Walla
- WWE's 'Wrestlemania' 31: The 5 best entrances and 5 most memorable moments
- Ariana Grande adds new dates and cities to The Honeymoon Tour
- 'Saturday Night Live' best host poll: The Rock flexes his comedy muscles
- Smashing Pumpkins explore PTSD in "Drum + Fife" video
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!