Those of us who grew up on Yogi Bear cartoons can breathe easy: In his new movie — featuring a 3-D computer-animated Yogi (voiced by Dan Aykroyd) and Boo Boo (voiced by Justin Timberlake) alongside live action actors — our beloved pic-a-nic thief isn’t asked to whore himself by rapping, farting, or dropping pop culture references the way some of his animated brethren have in recent years. (Our condolences, Chipmunks.) Instead he’s plopped unharmed into a sweetly frivolous storyline about a park ranger (Tom Cavanagh) trying to save Jellystone Park from the grips of an oily politician. There’s nothing particularly inventive in the plot or grade-school humor, but the movie skates by on the timeless, undemanding charm of watching a tie-wearing bear try to steal people’s lunches. B-
WHEN YOU'RE SMILIN' Boo Boo and his smarter-than-average accomplice in Yogi Bear (Warner Bros.)
Genre: PG; Starring: Dan Aykroyd, Anna Faris, Justin Timberlake; Release Date Wide: 12/17/2010; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted July 28 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Breakfast Club' to screen at SXSW Festival
- Get your first look at The CW's 'iZombie'
- Mireille Enos in Shonda Rhimes' 'Catch'
- Daytime Emmy Awards returning to television
- Hear Will Butler of Arcade Fire's solo debut 'Policy' on Spotify
- The full, uncensored studio version of Kanye's 'All Day' is finally here
- The EW Guide to Music Festival Season 2015