A perfectly respectable Jim Carrey comedy that makes you feel as if you’re back in 1997, watching Liar Liar. Carrey plays Bruce Nolan, wacky feature reporter at a Buffalo TV news station, where he’s the punchline of every office joke. Convinced that God is against him, he is summoned by the deity himself (Morgan Freeman), who decides to teach him a lesson by investing the lowly, self-pitying earthling with the full range of His powers. Carrey rules his madcap dominion with as much skill as ever, but it’s hard to escape the feeling that we’re watching Officially Unhinged Jim Carrey Routines, without the anarchy or surprise they had in his earlier films.
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Jim Carrey, Jennifer Aniston, Catherine Bell, Nora Dunn, Morgan Freeman, Philip Baker Hall; Director: Tom Shadyac; Author: Steven Koren, Mark O'Keefe; Release Date Wide: 05/23/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 94; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Universal
Posted July 31 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- EW Recommends The Last Man on Earth, Grace and Frankie, and more
- EW recommends: Bieber, baseball, and Broadway
- William Shatner, Patrick Stewart on Nimoy
- Once Upon a Time's JoAnna Garcia Swisher joins untitled Tommy Johnagin pilot
- On the Books: 'Clueless' star Stacey Dash signs book deal
- Kelly Osbourne is leaving E!'s Fashion Police
- 'Focus': The reviews are in...