After touring with Adele and signing to the U.K. label run by Mumford & Sons’ bassist, the British crooner has earned such a devoted following of Anglophile hipsters, you’d think he created Downton Abbey. Luckily, he earns that love on his debut Home Again, which blends warm vintage soul with the cozy acoustic vibe of West London’s pub scene. From the jazzy folk of ”I’m Getting Ready” to the lush flutes and horns of ”Tell Me a Tale,” Kiwanuka smolders. He sounds like a young Terry Callier, and he’s got just enough old-school charm to make younger listeners Google who that is. B+
OLD-SCHOOL JAMS Kiwanuka's warm, vintage sound makes him the latest hipster obsession (Jon Furniss/WireImage)
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: Michael Kiwanuka; Music Label: Cherry Tree
Posted August 1 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- ‘Hocus Pocus’ stage show will haunt Disney World this Halloween
- Young Thug wants to call his next mixtape 'Carter V'
- Former Girls frontman Christopher Owens drops new album
- 'Pawn Sacrifice' trailer shows Bobby Fischer's greatest struggles
- Mariah and me(?!) on stage in Las Vegas: Tweet dreams are made of this...
- Ask the Critic: Chris Nashawaty wants to hear from YOU about movies
- 'Marriage Boot Camp' welcomes... Jeff and Jordan from 'Big Brother?'
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Lady Gaga, The Rock, Demi Lovato & More!