After touring with Adele and signing to the U.K. label run by Mumford & Sons’ bassist, the British crooner has earned such a devoted following of Anglophile hipsters, you’d think he created Downton Abbey. Luckily, he earns that love on his debut Home Again, which blends warm vintage soul with the cozy acoustic vibe of West London’s pub scene. From the jazzy folk of ”I’m Getting Ready” to the lush flutes and horns of ”Tell Me a Tale,” Kiwanuka smolders. He sounds like a young Terry Callier, and he’s got just enough old-school charm to make younger listeners Google who that is. B+
OLD-SCHOOL JAMS Kiwanuka's warm, vintage sound makes him the latest hipster obsession (Jon Furniss/WireImage)
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: Michael Kiwanuka; Music Label: Cherry Tree
Posted August 1 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Julia Roberts on Garry Marshall: I was lucky 'to have been loved by him'
- Netflix explains why they didn't rescue 'Agent Carter'
- WATCH: Jimmy Kimmel joins the 'Mr. Robot' team
- Will Smith raps 'Miami' at 'Suicide Squad' block party
- What to Watch: A cappella teams fight it out on 'Sing It On'
- 'American Horror Story' teasers released on Snapchat
- 'Black Mirror' casts 'Game of Thrones' actor, sets premiere date
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels