After touring with Adele and signing to the U.K. label run by Mumford & Sons’ bassist, the British crooner has earned such a devoted following of Anglophile hipsters, you’d think he created Downton Abbey. Luckily, he earns that love on his debut Home Again, which blends warm vintage soul with the cozy acoustic vibe of West London’s pub scene. From the jazzy folk of ”I’m Getting Ready” to the lush flutes and horns of ”Tell Me a Tale,” Kiwanuka smolders. He sounds like a young Terry Callier, and he’s got just enough old-school charm to make younger listeners Google who that is. B+
OLD-SCHOOL JAMS Kiwanuka's warm, vintage sound makes him the latest hipster obsession (Jon Furniss/WireImage)
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: Michael Kiwanuka; Music Label: Cherry Tree
Posted August 1 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Tilda Swinton talks The Ancient One in 'Doctor Strange' sneak peek video
- J.K. Rowling saw Amy Schumer's stand-up show and loved it
- Adam Scott and Craig Robinson team up for paranormal comedy 'Ghosted'
- EW PopFest: Here's everything you need to know!
- Lance Bass 'disappointed' *NSYNC never recorded final album
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt: 'Dark Knight Rises' conclusion was 'perfect ending'
- Actors Equity Association endorses Hillary Clinton