This slim collection Some Remarks is a good entry into the relentless mind of the autodidactic writer (Snow Crash), covering everything from the rise of China to a defense of Zack Snyder’s 300, plus padding like a Salon interview with the author. It’s almost worth buying just for ”Mother Earth Mother Board” (first published in Wired), a novella-length look at global fiber-optic cable installation. I say ”almost” because like much of the writing collected here, ”Mother Earth” is readily available online. B-
JOURNALISTIC SILVER The collection of essays is a gateway into the mind of its autodidactic writer
Genre: Essays; Author: Neal Stephenson; Publisher: William Morrow
Posted August 3 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Queen of Katwe' story inspired Alicia Keys to write a new song
- Sebastian Stan joins Steven Soderbergh's heist film 'Logan Lucky'
- Three Rounds: Sunday Funday with the cast of 'You're the Worst'
- Teyana Taylor, star of Kanye West's 'Fade' video, cast in VH1's 'The Breaks'
- 'Phantasm: Remastered' poster: The Tall Man gets a grip
- WATCH: Here's your exclusive first look at 'Project Runway' season 15
- Marvel Tsum Tsums go from plush to digital in new mobile game
- 11 of the Best 'Mister Rogers' Neighborhood' Guest Stars
- 'Easy': 12 Exclusive First Look Photos
- First Look: Jyn Erso Toys from 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story'
- Darth Vader, Voldemort, and 7 Other Pop Culture Comparisons to Donald Trump
- Celebrity Professors: See Stars Who Make the Grade
- 55 Books to Read This Fall