Ruh-roh! Romething’s really wrong with this ricture! The live-action adventure Scooby-Doo is founded on a love-it-or-hate-it (and you know who you are) pop cultural phenomenon, the long-running Hanna-Barbera cartoon in which four high-decibel young people and a talking, high-maintenance dog solve mysteries and eat snacks. No surprises there. But garbled in the translation is a sense of whether this manic production is meant for pre-ironic kids or an older, more sophisticated audience: The antics involving ghosts, chases, and burping that divert the small fry don’t mix with the jokey, tribute-band dialogue spouting from the Mystery, Inc. gang. (Celebrity Scooby-philes include Sarah Michelle Gellar, Freddie Prinze, Jr., and Matthew Lillard in full doofus mode as Shaggy.) The whole enterprise, you might say, is cranked up to a squealing pitch somewhere between ”Zoinks” and ”Relp!”
(Scooby-Doo: Warner Bros.)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Linda Cardellini, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Matthew Lillard, Freddie Prinze Jr., Rowan Atkinson, Isla Fisher, Mark McGrath; Director: Raja Gosnell; Author: James Gunn; Release Date Wide: 06/14/2002; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted August 7 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Despite polarizing season 2, HBO still interested in more 'True Detective'
- Box office preview: 'Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation,' 'Vacation'
- HBO says Game of Thrones will be at least eight seasons
- 'Feast' director Patrick Osborne to direct 'Battling Boy' adaptation
- 'Elementary' enlists 'The Knick' star Jeremy Bobb
- Anne Heche on her 'drop-dead gorgeous' new fashion-centric drama
- Game of Thrones season 5 coming to home video months early
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!