Most teens think their parents are nuts, but Bee has hard proof: emails, faxes, and FBI documents forming a disturbing portrait of her brilliant mother, Bernadette Fox. Once a revered architect, Bernadette has become such a neurotic mess that she outsources her simplest errands to a virtual assistant in India. When Bernadette suddenly disappears, Bee follows her mother’s unusual paper trail to track her down. Semple, who wrote for TV’s Arrested Development, has imagined a comic, often frustrating, but ultimately engrossing and whip-smart modern epistolary novel in Where’d You Go, Bernadette. B+
MAMA DRAMA This quirky book follows a daughter on the hunt for her brilliant, yet nutty mother
Genre: Fiction; Author: Maria Semple; Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Posted August 10 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Christina Applegate on turning down 'Legally Blonde': 'What a stupid move'
- The Chilean miners disaster story comes alive in first trailer for 'The 33'
- 'Banshee' confirmed canceled after fourth season
- See EWwy campaign posters for the best dramatic actor nominees
- Netflix chief still 'thrilled' with Adam Sandler after 'Pixels' flop
- Uncle Jesse & Aunt Becky's twins will be on 'Fuller House' too
- Jason Segel gets serious playing David Foster Wallace in 'The End of the Tour'
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Ellie Kemper, Matthew Fox, The VS Angels & More!