Most teens think their parents are nuts, but Bee has hard proof: emails, faxes, and FBI documents forming a disturbing portrait of her brilliant mother, Bernadette Fox. Once a revered architect, Bernadette has become such a neurotic mess that she outsources her simplest errands to a virtual assistant in India. When Bernadette suddenly disappears, Bee follows her mother’s unusual paper trail to track her down. Semple, who wrote for TV’s Arrested Development, has imagined a comic, often frustrating, but ultimately engrossing and whip-smart modern epistolary novel in Where’d You Go, Bernadette. B+
MAMA DRAMA This quirky book follows a daughter on the hunt for her brilliant, yet nutty mother
Genre: Fiction; Author: Maria Semple; Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Posted August 10 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Vikings' shocker: Creator Michael Hirst talks the death of [spoiler]
- 'Vikings' kills again: A talk with the departing actor
- Casting Net: Viola Davis, Catalina Sandino Moreno star in 'Custody'
- Obama talks 'The Wire' with David Simon
- Warner Bros wins bid for rights to viral 'Sundays' short
- Oscar producers Meron, Zadan moving on
- Craig T. Nelson back as Hayden Fox in NBC 'Coach' revival
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!