Most teens think their parents are nuts, but Bee has hard proof: emails, faxes, and FBI documents forming a disturbing portrait of her brilliant mother, Bernadette Fox. Once a revered architect, Bernadette has become such a neurotic mess that she outsources her simplest errands to a virtual assistant in India. When Bernadette suddenly disappears, Bee follows her mother’s unusual paper trail to track her down. Semple, who wrote for TV’s Arrested Development, has imagined a comic, often frustrating, but ultimately engrossing and whip-smart modern epistolary novel in Where’d You Go, Bernadette. B+
MAMA DRAMA This quirky book follows a daughter on the hunt for her brilliant, yet nutty mother
Genre: Fiction; Author: Maria Semple; Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Posted August 10 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Dukes of Hazzard' costar: TV Land wrong
- Keke Palmer: 'Scream Queens' will be just 'as brutal' as 'American Horror Story'
- Empire State Building jams out to Grateful Dead with synchronized July 4 light show
- Dave Grohl's game of throne in D.C.
- Kit Harington: Buzz about his long hair
- Missy Elliott takes show into the crowd at Essence Fest
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!