Before he started playing bass for Nickelback, Mike Kroeger worked at Starbucks, a gig that supposedly inspired the band’s name. (As in, “Here’s your nickel back.”) Now, the band’s reliving those golden years with the video for “Trying Not To Love You,” which features such dream-of-the-’90s hallmarks as “half-caff mocha-soy” drinks, soul patches, Baywatch nostalgia, and a starring role from Seinfeld’s Jason Alexander, a man who once proclaimed that “coffee’s not coffee, coffee is sex!” He takes that rule a little too seriously in this clip, where he plays a schlubby barista who’s trying to win over former mouth-to-mouth-resuscitation-loving lifeguard Brooke Burns by drawing hearts in her cappuccino. (Does Nickelback own a special TV that plays nothing except old Baywatch episodes? See also: “Gotta Get Me Some,” where Chad Kroeger compares some poor girl to “a scene from a Baywatch rerun.”) First, though, he has to compete with some fedora-wearing latte artist (also played by Alexander) who can sculpt foam until it resembles the members of Nickelback. Which is… supposed to be hot? Or at least funny? Hmmm. You can watch the video below and judge for yourself. But when forced to choose between different versions of Jason “Video Vixen” Alexander, I still prefer this guy.
Posted August 18 2012 — 1:07 PM EDT
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters