Before he started playing bass for Nickelback, Mike Kroeger worked at Starbucks, a gig that supposedly inspired the band’s name. (As in, “Here’s your nickel back.”) Now, the band’s reliving those golden years with the video for “Trying Not To Love You,” which features such dream-of-the-’90s hallmarks as “half-caff mocha-soy” drinks, soul patches, Baywatch nostalgia, and a starring role from Seinfeld’s Jason Alexander, a man who once proclaimed that “coffee’s not coffee, coffee is sex!” He takes that rule a little too seriously in this clip, where he plays a schlubby barista who’s trying to win over former mouth-to-mouth-resuscitation-loving lifeguard Brooke Burns by drawing hearts in her cappuccino. (Does Nickelback own a special TV that plays nothing except old Baywatch episodes? See also: “Gotta Get Me Some,” where Chad Kroeger compares some poor girl to “a scene from a Baywatch rerun.”) First, though, he has to compete with some fedora-wearing latte artist (also played by Alexander) who can sculpt foam until it resembles the members of Nickelback. Which is… supposed to be hot? Or at least funny? Hmmm. You can watch the video below and judge for yourself. But when forced to choose between different versions of Jason “Video Vixen” Alexander, I still prefer this guy.
- Dragon Ball Super, first new series in 18 years, coming in 2015
- 'The Flash': Barry & Co. finally confront Wells
- David Krumholtz to play a grandma in IFC's 'Gigi's Bucket List'
- 'Dancing with the Stars' celeb blog: Robert Herjavec on dance-offs, anniversaries, and fan questions
- 'The Wire' creator David Simon calls for an end to Baltimore violence
- Kendrick Lamar nailed the first pitch at last night's Dodgers game