The title character of the heart-tugging fantasy crowd-pleaser The Odd Life of Timothy Green is a nerdishly sweet 10-year-old boy (CJ Adams) who lands on the doorstop of a childless couple (Joel Edgerton and Jennifer Garner). Adopting him, they discover that he isn’t just different but, you know, special. He’s got leaves growing out of his ankles, a way of lifting his arms up to the heavens like a junior Jesus (hello, evangelical demo!), and also a way of lifting the hearts of everyone he meets. Timothy is a magical boy, all right, but that doesn’t keep him from being shy, awkward, wounded. The movie should have been called The Curious Diary of a Wimpy Forrest Gump. It’s genuinely soft-hearted (you’re all but guaranteed to cry) but mush-brained, too. B-
FAMILY FUN Jennifer Garner and CJ Adams bond in The Odd Life of Timothy Green (Phil Bray)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Joel Edgerton, Jennifer Garner, Ron Livingston; Director: Peter Hedges; Release Date Wide: 08/15/2012; Status: In Season; Distributor: Walt Disney Pictures
Posted August 24 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See Ryan Reynolds give Conan O’Brien a massage as Deadpool (with panda tears)
- Kevin Bacon campaigns for more male nudity in Hollywood in mock PSA
- See the red band trailer for Ryan Reynolds' 'Deadpool'
- 'Playing House' season 2 premiere react: Did you find the BFFs' return 'totes kewl'?
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall on that 'uncomfortable' Twitter save
- Casting Net: Will Smith replaces Hugh Jackman in 'Collateral Beauty'
- 9 spoilers on 'Grey’s Anatomy,' 'Scandal,' 'Murder'