The title character of the heart-tugging fantasy crowd-pleaser The Odd Life of Timothy Green is a nerdishly sweet 10-year-old boy (CJ Adams) who lands on the doorstop of a childless couple (Joel Edgerton and Jennifer Garner). Adopting him, they discover that he isn’t just different but, you know, special. He’s got leaves growing out of his ankles, a way of lifting his arms up to the heavens like a junior Jesus (hello, evangelical demo!), and also a way of lifting the hearts of everyone he meets. Timothy is a magical boy, all right, but that doesn’t keep him from being shy, awkward, wounded. The movie should have been called The Curious Diary of a Wimpy Forrest Gump. It’s genuinely soft-hearted (you’re all but guaranteed to cry) but mush-brained, too. B-
FAMILY FUN Jennifer Garner and CJ Adams bond in The Odd Life of Timothy Green (Phil Bray)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Joel Edgerton, Jennifer Garner, Ron Livingston; Director: Peter Hedges; Release Date Wide: 08/15/2012; Distributor: Walt Disney Pictures
Posted August 24 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race' season 7 winner talks about being the 'shadiest queen'
- Robin Williams' wife, children continue to sort out issues over late actor's estate
- Icona Pop join One Direction on their U.S. tour
- Caitlyn Jenner's mom: 'She's beautiful'
- St. Vincent OK after fall off speakers
- Eddie Redmayne set for 'Fantastic Beasts'
- Justice Department ramps up its investigation of theater chains
- 18 CBS star portraits from summer/fall shows
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 best festivals
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 biggest albums
- TV Season Finale Awards: YOUR 2015 winners are...
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Charlize & Seth, Alessandro & Bradley, Gwen Stefani and More!