The title character of the heart-tugging fantasy crowd-pleaser The Odd Life of Timothy Green is a nerdishly sweet 10-year-old boy (CJ Adams) who lands on the doorstop of a childless couple (Joel Edgerton and Jennifer Garner). Adopting him, they discover that he isn’t just different but, you know, special. He’s got leaves growing out of his ankles, a way of lifting his arms up to the heavens like a junior Jesus (hello, evangelical demo!), and also a way of lifting the hearts of everyone he meets. Timothy is a magical boy, all right, but that doesn’t keep him from being shy, awkward, wounded. The movie should have been called The Curious Diary of a Wimpy Forrest Gump. It’s genuinely soft-hearted (you’re all but guaranteed to cry) but mush-brained, too. B-
FAMILY FUN Jennifer Garner and CJ Adams bond in The Odd Life of Timothy Green (Phil Bray)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Joel Edgerton, Jennifer Garner, Ron Livingston; Director: Peter Hedges; Release Date Wide: 08/15/2012; Distributor: Walt Disney Pictures
Posted August 24 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Julia Roberts on Garry Marshall: I was lucky 'to have been loved by him'
- Netflix explains why they didn't rescue 'Agent Carter'
- WATCH: Jimmy Kimmel joins the 'Mr. Robot' team
- Will Smith raps 'Miami' at 'Suicide Squad' block party
- What to Watch: A cappella teams fight it out on 'Sing It On'
- 'American Horror Story' teasers released on Snapchat
- 'Black Mirror' casts 'Game of Thrones' actor, sets premiere date
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels