The title character of the heart-tugging fantasy crowd-pleaser The Odd Life of Timothy Green is a nerdishly sweet 10-year-old boy (CJ Adams) who lands on the doorstop of a childless couple (Joel Edgerton and Jennifer Garner). Adopting him, they discover that he isn’t just different but, you know, special. He’s got leaves growing out of his ankles, a way of lifting his arms up to the heavens like a junior Jesus (hello, evangelical demo!), and also a way of lifting the hearts of everyone he meets. Timothy is a magical boy, all right, but that doesn’t keep him from being shy, awkward, wounded. The movie should have been called The Curious Diary of a Wimpy Forrest Gump. It’s genuinely soft-hearted (you’re all but guaranteed to cry) but mush-brained, too. B-
FAMILY FUN Jennifer Garner and CJ Adams bond in The Odd Life of Timothy Green (Phil Bray)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Joel Edgerton, Jennifer Garner, Ron Livingston; Director: Peter Hedges; Release Date Wide: 08/15/2012; Distributor: Walt Disney Pictures
Posted August 24 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Look, but don't retouch? Female celeb photo debate
- Margot Robbie's 'Focus' audition, a.k.a. 'the craziest 24 hours of my life'
- 'Focus' is weekend's No. 1 movie; 'Fifty Shades of Grey' drops to No. 4
- 'SNL' react: Your quick take on Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?
- Kanye's new album: 'So Help Me God'
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set