The Expendables 2 isn’t exactly the sort of movie that gets critics rallying to its defense. It’s neo-’80s schlock featuring a team of action stars who, at this point, can barely even move. Yet the film has a couple of defenders this week: Lisa and I both enjoyed the honest cheesiness with which it returns you to the era before action films – even bad ones – came layered with a certain post-9/11 gravitas. The Expendables 2 may be trash, but it has the courage of its own irresponsibility, along with a cast we still like a lot (in part because they are so old). You can see us chat about it below in the latest installment of “Movie Talk with Owen and Lisa.”
Posted August 24 2012 — 3:59 PM EDT
- The slow, curious fade of the male pop star
- Final 'Dexter' book says farewell to serial killer Dexter Morgan
- Kel Mitchell talks return to Nickelodeon this fall in 'Game Shakers'
- Kevin Bacon, Neil Marshall, and the other Thor to attend Fantasia 2015
- Tatiana Maslany, Haley Joel Osment among cast for 'Locke & Key' audiobook
- Here's your best look yet at the very cool 'No Man's Sky'
- Bruce Campbell rides THAT '73 Delta 88 in 'Ash vs Evil Dead': New EW exclusive images
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Pippa Middleton, Ryan Reynolds, Jessica Alba & More!