The Expendables 2 isn’t exactly the sort of movie that gets critics rallying to its defense. It’s neo-’80s schlock featuring a team of action stars who, at this point, can barely even move. Yet the film has a couple of defenders this week: Lisa and I both enjoyed the honest cheesiness with which it returns you to the era before action films – even bad ones – came layered with a certain post-9/11 gravitas. The Expendables 2 may be trash, but it has the courage of its own irresponsibility, along with a cast we still like a lot (in part because they are so old). You can see us chat about it below in the latest installment of “Movie Talk with Owen and Lisa.”
Posted August 24 2012 — 3:59 PM EDT
- Matt LeBlanc on beginning 'Man With a Plan' and ending 'Episodes'
- Oscar frontrunners set to gather at EW PopFest
- Tom Hanks still remembers the rap from 'Big'
- 'Walking Dead' quiz: How well do you know dead characters' last lines?
- Sean Penn on the political relevance of 'Bob Honey Who Just Do Stuff'
- Margot Robbie in talks to join 'Peter Rabbit' movie
- Why 'The Conjuring' is the perfect Halloween movie