The Expendables 2 isn’t exactly the sort of movie that gets critics rallying to its defense. It’s neo-’80s schlock featuring a team of action stars who, at this point, can barely even move. Yet the film has a couple of defenders this week: Lisa and I both enjoyed the honest cheesiness with which it returns you to the era before action films – even bad ones – came layered with a certain post-9/11 gravitas. The Expendables 2 may be trash, but it has the courage of its own irresponsibility, along with a cast we still like a lot (in part because they are so old). You can see us chat about it below in the latest installment of “Movie Talk with Owen and Lisa.”
Posted January 18 2015 — 3:37 AM EST
- De La Soul to fund new album via Kickstarter
- 'Flash'-'Arrow' spinoff finds its Hawkgirl: Broadway star Ciara Renee
- Wilco protests Indiana law, nixes concert
- Oxygen, Esquire Network partner on companion series 'Living With Funny,' 'Comedians of L.A.'
- 'The Flash': Mark Hamill on reprising Trickster role, bringing out epic 'Star Wars' nod
- Disney eyes live-action 'Mulan' film
- Trans stories find a home on reality TV following Orange is the New Black, Transparent success
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!