Joe Posnanski is a terrific writer. He also has terrible luck. The former Sports Illustrated star spent years working on an in-depth bio of legendary Penn State football coach Joe Paterno. But just as it was about to go to press, the unimaginable happened. One of the most respected figures in college athletics was swept up in a child-molestation scandal perpetrated by his longtime assistant Jerry Sandusky. Worse, Paterno (who died of cancer in January) knew about the stomach-turning incidents and didn’t do as much as he could have — or should have — to stop them. Posnanski tries to make the best of the situation, shoehorning the new developments into his Paterno narrative. Problem is, that narrative is an admiring account of a man most folks aren’t yet ready to admire again. B
BAD TIMING This biography was set to print right before news of the Penn State child-molestation sandal broke, forcing Posnanski to (not so successfully) alter the narrative
Genre: Biography; Author: Joe Posnanski; Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Posted August 24 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Hannibal' music supervisor on working with Siouxsie Sioux for the finale's song
- Hugh Dancy explains that shocking 'Hannibal' series finale
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!