Joe Posnanski is a terrific writer. He also has terrible luck. The former Sports Illustrated star spent years working on an in-depth bio of legendary Penn State football coach Joe Paterno. But just as it was about to go to press, the unimaginable happened. One of the most respected figures in college athletics was swept up in a child-molestation scandal perpetrated by his longtime assistant Jerry Sandusky. Worse, Paterno (who died of cancer in January) knew about the stomach-turning incidents and didn’t do as much as he could have — or should have — to stop them. Posnanski tries to make the best of the situation, shoehorning the new developments into his Paterno narrative. Problem is, that narrative is an admiring account of a man most folks aren’t yet ready to admire again. B
BAD TIMING This biography was set to print right before news of the Penn State child-molestation sandal broke, forcing Posnanski to (not so successfully) alter the narrative
Genre: Biography; Author: Joe Posnanski; Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Posted August 24 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Bible' series won't return to NBC
- Gal Godot: 'It’s impossible not to be a little nervous' about playing Wonder Woman
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!