The splendid Iranian author-artist Marjane Satrapi and her creative collaborator Vincent Paronnaud follow up their great 2007 animated film, Persepolis, with a live-action project that’s rich with visual exoticism but lower on emotional power. Adapting Satrapi’s graphic novel about a violinist (Mathieu Amalric) in late-1950s Tehran who’s got a broken fiddle and a broken heart and takes to his bed, willing himself to die, the filmmakers rely on expressive eyes to carry a narrative style suitable for a silent movie. B+
CHICKEN WITH PLUMS Mathieu Amalric Maria de Medeiros (Patricia Khan)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Golshifteh Farahani, Maria De Medeiros, Isabella Rossellini; Director: Vincent Paronnaud, Marjane Satrapi; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted August 28 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- What to expect (and what we hope) will be at this year's San Diego Comic-Con
- Kourtney Kardashian, Scott Disick break up
- A$AP Rocky apologizes for those Rita Ora lyrics
- Zach Levi on 'Heroes: Reborn': I wanted something that wasn't Chuck
- Wall Street Journal to publish first chapter of Harper Lee's 'Go Set A Watchman'
- Will this be Hollywood's biggest box-office year ever?
- See Amy Schumer audition for 'The Real Housewives' of any city
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!