The splendid Iranian author-artist Marjane Satrapi and her creative collaborator Vincent Paronnaud follow up their great 2007 animated film, Persepolis, with a live-action project that’s rich with visual exoticism but lower on emotional power. Adapting Satrapi’s graphic novel about a violinist (Mathieu Amalric) in late-1950s Tehran who’s got a broken fiddle and a broken heart and takes to his bed, willing himself to die, the filmmakers rely on expressive eyes to carry a narrative style suitable for a silent movie. B+
CHICKEN WITH PLUMS Mathieu Amalric Maria de Medeiros (Patricia Khan)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Golshifteh Farahani, Maria De Medeiros, Isabella Rossellini; Director: Vincent Paronnaud, Marjane Satrapi; Release Date Limited: 08/17/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted August 28 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- How the novel 'Star Wars: Aftermath' sets up 'The Force Awakens'
- The lawsuit over 'Mr. Holmes' has been settled, attorney says
- Kristen Bell’s gift to Dax Shepard makes us all miss 'Parenthood'
- Casting Net: Jason Momoa to star in lumberjack thriller Braven
- Brad Paisley gets ready for football season with 'Country Nation' video
- Selena Gomez is officially in 'Neighbors 2'
- Interracial family comedy in the works at NBC, from Parks and Recreation pair
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!