The splendid Iranian author-artist Marjane Satrapi and her creative collaborator Vincent Paronnaud follow up their great 2007 animated film, Persepolis, with a live-action project that’s rich with visual exoticism but lower on emotional power. Adapting Satrapi’s graphic novel about a violinist (Mathieu Amalric) in late-1950s Tehran who’s got a broken fiddle and a broken heart and takes to his bed, willing himself to die, the filmmakers rely on expressive eyes to carry a narrative style suitable for a silent movie. B+
CHICKEN WITH PLUMS Mathieu Amalric Maria de Medeiros (Patricia Khan)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Golshifteh Farahani, Maria De Medeiros, Isabella Rossellini; Director: Vincent Paronnaud, Marjane Satrapi; Release Date Limited: 08/17/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted August 28 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Woody Harrelson denied medical marijuana dispensary license: Report
- WATCH: How Ryan Gosling put Margaret Qualley at ease on 'Nice Guys'
- 'That '70s Show' cast reunite on the set of Netflix's 'The Ranch'
- 'Scandal' stars tour the White House ahead of Correspondents' Dinner
- Paul Rudd had a fanboy moment over 'Captain America: Civil War'
- James Gunn's parents visited the set of 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2'
- 'Captain America: Civil War' video spotlights Steve-Bucky relationship
- See President Obama's Very First White House Correspondents Dinner
- 13 Times Real Pain Inspired Great Art
- Destiny's Child's Best Matching Outfits Through the Years
- 'The Simpsons': See the Voices Behind Your Favorite Characters
- All the Photos From Beyonce's 'Formation' Tour
- 40 Celebrities Who Threw Out The First Pitch