The splendid Iranian author-artist Marjane Satrapi and her creative collaborator Vincent Paronnaud follow up their great 2007 animated film, Persepolis, with a live-action project that’s rich with visual exoticism but lower on emotional power. Adapting Satrapi’s graphic novel about a violinist (Mathieu Amalric) in late-1950s Tehran who’s got a broken fiddle and a broken heart and takes to his bed, willing himself to die, the filmmakers rely on expressive eyes to carry a narrative style suitable for a silent movie. B+
CHICKEN WITH PLUMS Mathieu Amalric Maria de Medeiros (Patricia Khan)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Golshifteh Farahani, Maria De Medeiros, Isabella Rossellini; Director: Vincent Paronnaud, Marjane Satrapi; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted August 28 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Turn' exclusive sneak peek: George Washington greets the famous Frenchman, Lafayette
- Chris Pratt: Why I'm ready to get away from Hollywood
- Matt Damon in Ridley Scott's 'The Martian': First Look
- 'Orphan Black' creator on that crazy, twerktastic episode
- 'Orphan Black': Dylan Bruce on Paul's big moment
- Ryan Reynolds makes young fan's dream come true on 'Deadpool' set
- And the winner of the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest is...
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Karina Smirnoff, Zachary Quinto, Taylor Swift & More!