The splendid Iranian author-artist Marjane Satrapi and her creative collaborator Vincent Paronnaud follow up their great 2007 animated film, Persepolis, with a live-action project that’s rich with visual exoticism but lower on emotional power. Adapting Satrapi’s graphic novel about a violinist (Mathieu Amalric) in late-1950s Tehran who’s got a broken fiddle and a broken heart and takes to his bed, willing himself to die, the filmmakers rely on expressive eyes to carry a narrative style suitable for a silent movie. B+
CHICKEN WITH PLUMS Mathieu Amalric Maria de Medeiros (Patricia Khan)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Golshifteh Farahani, Maria De Medeiros, Isabella Rossellini; Director: Vincent Paronnaud, Marjane Satrapi; Release Date Limited: 08/17/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted August 28 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Five Questions From Transparent's Season 2 Premiere
- Gotham Awards 2015: 'Spotlight,' 'Tangerine' top the winners list
- Reese Witherspoon developing movie about Barbie creator, with an eye to star
- Casting Net: Alicia Vikander joins James McAvoy in romantic thriller
- The Avengers get rom-com treatment in remix video
- Superman unmasks Batman in new sneak peek from 'Dawn of Justice'
- J.J. Abrams says screening 'Force Awakens' for Disney bosses was 'horrifying'