Ever since these arty Brooklyn kids broke through five years ago with their eclectic debut All Hour Cymbals — just try to find a circa-2007 indie mixtape that didn’t have ”2080” on it — they’ve been one of the scene’s biggest question marks. While 2010’s Odd Blood leaned harder on psychedelia, Fragrant World sheds yet another skin, forsaking much of Blood’s poncho-friendly experimentalism. The result is something both tighter and somehow weirder, tethering college-dance-party grooves to the band’s far-out secret-society visions. If the secrets of the Freemasons are encoded somewhere in these lyrics, we’re glad to keep digging. B+
INDIE SOCIETY Fragrant World delivers a sensory overload with cooky, polished dance anthems (Jason Frank Rothenberg)
Genre: Indie Rock; Music Label: Secretly Canadian
Posted August 29 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- The men of 'Law & Order: SVU' come together for sexual assault PSA
- Bill Hader, Nicole Byer target ‘the youth’ with voting PSA
- Malcolm Gladwell is Gucci Mane's 'favorite author'
- 5 scariest lines from Elena Ferrante's creepy children's book
- 'The Walking Dead': Sneak peek clip shows the Kingdom
- The Chainsmokers and Halsey drop steamy music video for 'Closer'
- #TrumpaNovel Trump-ifies your favorite books