Love songs aren’t subtle. Everything about them is overblown: the emotions, the choruses, the superlatives. So it’s exciting to hear the minimalist U.K. trio approach their new-crush odes with such austerity in Coexist — just a few steady-droning Casios and an 808 rhythm that buh-bumps like a heartbeat. On opener ”Angels,” Romy Madley-Croft repeats the word love like she’s whispering in your ear, explaining what it’s like to fall for someone. By the end, you’ll know exactly how she feels. B+
ALL LOVE The xx whisper delightful, sweet nothings in this album (James James Medina)
Genre: Electronic; Music Label: Young Turks
Posted September 7 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Brie Larson and Jimmy Fallon play 'The Whisper Challenge' on 'The Tonight Show'
- 'Scandal': Bellamy Young talks Fitz and Olivia's now-public affair
- Advocacy group criticizes 'The Martian' for changing Asian-American characters
- Julie Plec blogs the season 3 premiere of 'The Originals'
- Luke Evans, Henry Cavill join Nicholas Hoult in 'Sand Castle'
- This new preview of 'Room' will make you want to call your mom
- Julie's Diary: Julie Plec blogs the 'Vampire Diaries' season 7 premiere