Joby (Paul Dano), an indie-rock musician, is getting divorced — and that’s when he decides he wants to know his estranged 6-year-old daughter (Shaylena Mandigo). Set in a wintry suburban wasteland, the movie is full of choppy visuals and punishing silences, a vaguely Euro style that says: ”Life’s a bummer.” Dano does a more insolent version of his woe-is-me moroseness, but the drama is so minimalist that it’s hard to glimpse the man behind the woe. (Available on VOD Sept. 19) C+
FOR ELLEN Paul Dano (Carolyn Drake)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Paul Dano, Jena Malone; Director: So Yong Kim; Runtime (in minutes): 93
Posted September 7 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Meek Mill hits back at Drake with diss track 'Wanna Know'
- 'Graceland' postmortem: Is Paige in over her head?
- 'Wet Hot' creators provide teases for 40 characters in the prequel
- Patricia Arquette to voice witch in 'Troll: The Rise of Harry Potter Jr.'
- Caitlyn Jenner practices her 'feminine voice' in 'I Am Cait' clip
- Dwayne Johnson on Hulk Hogan's racist rant: 'We've all talked trash'
- Jared Padalecki posted his first-ever #TBT: 13 more 'Supernatural' throwbacks
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Helen Mirren, Tom Cruise, The Baldwins & More!