Joby (Paul Dano), an indie-rock musician, is getting divorced — and that’s when he decides he wants to know his estranged 6-year-old daughter (Shaylena Mandigo). Set in a wintry suburban wasteland, the movie is full of choppy visuals and punishing silences, a vaguely Euro style that says: ”Life’s a bummer.” Dano does a more insolent version of his woe-is-me moroseness, but the drama is so minimalist that it’s hard to glimpse the man behind the woe. (Available on VOD Sept. 19) C+
FOR ELLEN Paul Dano (Carolyn Drake)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Paul Dano, Jena Malone; Director: So Yong Kim; Runtime (in minutes): 93
Posted September 7 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Cindy Crawford is developing NBC series about fashion in the '80s
- Chris Pine reportedly signed for 'Wonder Woman'
- 'Orange Is the New Black': What happened to Nicky Nichols?
- 'Empire' creator goes behind the scenes of 'American Crime Story'
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall talks controversial elimination
- 'Doctor Who' is headed to theaters in September
- Aziz Ansari's Netflix comedy snags Claire Danes and more
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!