Joby (Paul Dano), an indie-rock musician, is getting divorced — and that’s when he decides he wants to know his estranged 6-year-old daughter (Shaylena Mandigo). Set in a wintry suburban wasteland, the movie is full of choppy visuals and punishing silences, a vaguely Euro style that says: ”Life’s a bummer.” Dano does a more insolent version of his woe-is-me moroseness, but the drama is so minimalist that it’s hard to glimpse the man behind the woe. (Available on VOD Sept. 19) C+
FOR ELLEN Paul Dano (Carolyn Drake)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Paul Dano, Jena Malone; Director: So Yong Kim; Release Date Limited: 09/05/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 93
Posted September 7 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- President Obama and Vice head to prison in 'Fixing the System' trailer
- Chris Messina in talks to play Ben Affleck's best friend in 'Live By Night'
- 'Minions' clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'Doubt': 'Good Wife' actor to star opposite Katherine Heigl
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!