Joby (Paul Dano), an indie-rock musician, is getting divorced — and that’s when he decides he wants to know his estranged 6-year-old daughter (Shaylena Mandigo). Set in a wintry suburban wasteland, the movie is full of choppy visuals and punishing silences, a vaguely Euro style that says: ”Life’s a bummer.” Dano does a more insolent version of his woe-is-me moroseness, but the drama is so minimalist that it’s hard to glimpse the man behind the woe. (Available on VOD Sept. 19) C+
FOR ELLEN Paul Dano (Carolyn Drake)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Paul Dano, Jena Malone; Director: So Yong Kim; Runtime (in minutes): 93
Posted September 7 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- Bubba Watson says he's removing Confederate flag from his 'Dukes of Hazzard' car
- Taylor Swift, Jimmy Fallon, more celebs spend July 4 on Instagram, Twitter
- 'Crimson Peak' exclusive: Mia Wasikowska flees the darkness in Guillermo del Toro's Gothic chiller
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!