The quietly gifted indie director Ira Sachs (Forty Shades of Blue) has made an autobiographical movie so candid and searing it redefines him as an artist. In Keep the Lights On, Erik (Thure Lindhardt), a documentary filmmaker who lives off family money, falls for Paul (Zachary Booth), a literary lawyer he meets on a phone hookup line. Paul is sexy and thoughtful. He’s also an addict who disappears for days at a time. Sachs traces their relationship from 1998 to 2007, and what’s remarkable is that everything in the movie — how the New York apartments look, the inside glimpses at the life of a filmmaker, the way enabling becomes a form of romance — is as raw and real as the most live-wire memoir. Lindhardt, sweet and childish and achingly vulnerable, gives a stunning performance.A
Keep the Lights OnThe quietly gifted indie director Ira Sachs (Forty Shades of Blue) has made an autobiographical movie so candid and searing it redefines him as...Keep the Lights OnDramaPT102MThe quietly gifted indie director Ira Sachs (Forty Shades of Blue) has made an autobiographical movie so candid and searing it redefines him as...2012-09-07
KEEP THE LIGHTS ON Thure LIndhardt and Zachary Booth
Genre: Drama; Runtime (in minutes): 102
Posted September 7 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Joy Behar turned down an offer to return to 'The View'
- Valerie Harper hospitalized before performance in Maine
- NBC wants Beyonce for 'The Wiz' (but there is no deal)
- 10 retro love song suggestions from breakout blues star Anderson East
- This is what it looks like when 1,000 people cover Foo Fighters' 'Learn To Fly'
- Caption this: Your best responses to our cheeky 'Walking Dead' photo
- Kurt Russell western 'Bone Tomahawk' chosen as Fantastic Fest closing night film
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!