The quietly gifted indie director Ira Sachs (Forty Shades of Blue) has made an autobiographical movie so candid and searing it redefines him as an artist. In Keep the Lights On, Erik (Thure Lindhardt), a documentary filmmaker who lives off family money, falls for Paul (Zachary Booth), a literary lawyer he meets on a phone hookup line. Paul is sexy and thoughtful. He’s also an addict who disappears for days at a time. Sachs traces their relationship from 1998 to 2007, and what’s remarkable is that everything in the movie — how the New York apartments look, the inside glimpses at the life of a filmmaker, the way enabling becomes a form of romance — is as raw and real as the most live-wire memoir. Lindhardt, sweet and childish and achingly vulnerable, gives a stunning performance.A
Keep the Lights OnThe quietly gifted indie director Ira Sachs (Forty Shades of Blue) has made an autobiographical movie so candid and searing it redefines him as...Keep the Lights OnDramaPT102MThe quietly gifted indie director Ira Sachs (Forty Shades of Blue) has made an autobiographical movie so candid and searing it redefines him as...2012-09-07
KEEP THE LIGHTS ON Thure LIndhardt and Zachary Booth
Genre: Drama; Runtime (in minutes): 102
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- 'Walking Dead' season finale: Our quick take on 'Conquer'--and yours?
- Justin Timberlake thanks mom, wife, and everyone who called him 'different' accepting iHeart Radio's Innovator Award
- 'Fear the Walking Dead': First promo's here
- 'Once Upon a Time' tells Maleficent's child's story
- iHeart Radio Music Awards winners are...
- 'Mad Max: Fury Road' posts quartet of short teasers
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!