The quietly gifted indie director Ira Sachs (Forty Shades of Blue) has made an autobiographical movie so candid and searing it redefines him as an artist. In Keep the Lights On, Erik (Thure Lindhardt), a documentary filmmaker who lives off family money, falls for Paul (Zachary Booth), a literary lawyer he meets on a phone hookup line. Paul is sexy and thoughtful. He’s also an addict who disappears for days at a time. Sachs traces their relationship from 1998 to 2007, and what’s remarkable is that everything in the movie — how the New York apartments look, the inside glimpses at the life of a filmmaker, the way enabling becomes a form of romance — is as raw and real as the most live-wire memoir. Lindhardt, sweet and childish and achingly vulnerable, gives a stunning performance.A
Keep the Lights OnThe quietly gifted indie director Ira Sachs (Forty Shades of Blue) has made an autobiographical movie so candid and searing it redefines him as...Keep the Lights OnDramaPT102MThe quietly gifted indie director Ira Sachs (Forty Shades of Blue) has made an autobiographical movie so candid and searing it redefines him as...2012-09-07
KEEP THE LIGHTS ON Thure LIndhardt and Zachary Booth
Genre: Drama; Release Date Limited: 09/07/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 102
Posted September 7 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': What's happened to Agent May?
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' star on Ghost Rider's surprising move
- Damian Lewis in talks to play the villain in 'Ocean's 8'
- 'Chicago Fire' creator breaks down episode 100's big surprises
- 'Suicide Squad' Honest Trailer takes aim at the 'worst heroes ever'
- Joe Biden clarifies 2020 presidential bid comments
- 'This Is Us': Chris Sullivan on that Toby cliffhanger in the winter finale
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2016: See Photos From the Catwalk
- Books Gift Guide 2016: 31 Books For Your Wish List
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans