Hello there, and welcome back to the ongoing Summer of 2012 Bruce Willis Film Festival. This season the Die Hard star has already appeared in Moonrise Kingdom and The Expendables 2, and if you happened to vacation in Europe, you might have caught him in Lay the Favorite, which was released there. For a while it appeared Willis fans would also be seeing him in G.I. Joe: Retaliation, before the action sequel was pushed to next year. Does the actor ever turn anything down? Judging by The Cold Light of Day, it’s hard to imagine he does. This wearisome thriller stars future Man of Steel-er Henry Cavill as a bankrupt businessman who visits Spain for a holiday with his family. That family includes paterfamilias Willis who, we are informed, does something really boring at the local U.S. embassy. But wait! When Cavill’s mom, brother, and brother?s girlfriend disappear Willis reveals he is actually a CIA agent. Gadzooks-o-rama! And when Willis himself exits the picture early (presumably so he can film Die Hard 5 and RED 2 by the end of the week) it is up to our young, ill-equipped hero to save his folks by finding the usual suitcase-filled-with-something-or-other-important. The result apes The Bourne Identity so slavishly yet so boringly it winds up with no identity at all. The good news? Bruce’s next movie, the much more fancied Looper, is out in just three weeks time. C-
HOLIDAY IN SPAIN Henry Cavill has a not-so-nice time in Spain after his family is kidnapped (Diego Lopez Calvin)
Genre: Action/Adventure; Starring: Henry Cavill, Sigourney Weaver, Bruce Willis; Director: Mabrouk El Mechri; Release Date Limited: 09/07/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 93; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted September 11 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 1D's Liam Payne announces third single from 'Made in the A.M.'
- New 'Luther' trailer asks: 'You scared of me?'
- Drake: 'I'd do anything with Adele' — including a 'Hotline Bling' remix
- National Dog Show names Charlie the Skye terrier its Best in Show
- CBS will air two Super Bowl commercial specials before 'Super Bowl 50'
- Amy Schumer, Mindy Kaling, and more celebs give thanks on social media
- Highlights from the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade