The ”Call Me Maybe” phenomenon, in which an irresistible Canadian jingle invaded America with a viral fury that any flu outbreak would envy, has put Carly Rae Jepsen in a tough spot. Peering into the black abyss of one-hit wonderdom — with the cold eyes of Right Said Fred and Kajagoogoo staring back — the 26-year-old singer has two choices for her next move: either try to ride the bedazzled coattails of her signature tune, or dare to show a little more personality to carve out a niche on the Top 40 playing field. On Kiss, her U.S. debut, Jepsen makes a mad dash for good-enoughness. Kiss’ 12 tracks (including ”Call Me Maybe” and her top 10 Owl City duet ”Good Time”) almost all sound like reworkings of her big hit, only with a dancier beat here, a sillier lyric there. ”Guitar String/Wedding Ring” has the same syncopated jangle, ”This Kiss” shares its Lisa Frank-level wordplay, and ”Turn Me Up” builds just as energetically to a shooting-star chorus. But none of them have the indefinable, know-it-when-you-hear-it spark of a smash. And Jepsen’s tween-talk non sequiturs (”You are always the way you are/And you’re always the way I am,” she chirps on ”This Kiss”) sound off-key from a singer who’s a lot closer to 30 than 13. The sole outlier, ”Beautiful,” is a slack acoustic duet with Justin Bieber, who signed Jepsen to his label after hearing ”Call Me Maybe” on Canadian radio last year. It’s the stuff of pop fairy tales, but sadly, Jepsen’s time at the ball may be waning. B-
CALL ME UNIMPRESSED Try as she may (with almost identical songs on Kiss), Jepsen can't top her summer hit ''Call Me Maybe'' (Kevin Mazur/TCA 2012/WireImage)
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Carly Rae Jepsen; Music Label: Interscope
Posted September 19 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Meek Mill hits back at Drake with diss track 'Wanna Know'
- 'Graceland' postmortem: Is Paige in over her head?
- 'Wet Hot' creators provide teases for 40 characters in the prequel
- Patricia Arquette to voice witch in 'Troll: The Rise of Harry Potter Jr.'
- Caitlyn Jenner practices her 'feminine voice' in 'I Am Cait' clip
- Dwayne Johnson on Hulk Hogan's racist rant: 'We've all talked trash'
- Jared Padalecki posted his first-ever #TBT: 13 more 'Supernatural' throwbacks
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!