It was a book club with just two members: Will Schwalbe and his mother, Mary Anne, who was dying of pancreatic cancer. The pair whiled away dreary hours at chemo by reading everything from Marilynne Robinson’s Gilead to Wallace Stegner’s Crossing to Safety. Their peppery debates were not only about the novels but life and especially death, as Mary Anne bluntly faced her diagnosis — and gently helped her son to as well. The End of Your Life Book Club is a graceful, affecting testament to a mother and a life well lived. A
SHELF LIFE This memoir about reading novels about life and death is touching and heartfelt
Genre: Nonfiction, Memoir; Author: Will Schwalbe; Publisher: Knopf
Posted September 28 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Game of Thrones' new photos, promo for episode 6
- Milla Jovovich is a video game character in 'Contract Killer: Sniper'
- Lizzo dishes on new music and feeling 'Good As Hell'
- 'Alice' star Beth Howland dies at 74
- Penelope Cruz on the 'anti-melodrama' of her new film 'Ma Ma'
- 'Roots' producers & cast on why the iconic miniseries needed a remake
- 'Spartan: Ultimate Team Challenge': See a peek at NBC's new series