It was a book club with just two members: Will Schwalbe and his mother, Mary Anne, who was dying of pancreatic cancer. The pair whiled away dreary hours at chemo by reading everything from Marilynne Robinson’s Gilead to Wallace Stegner’s Crossing to Safety. Their peppery debates were not only about the novels but life and especially death, as Mary Anne bluntly faced her diagnosis — and gently helped her son to as well. The End of Your Life Book Club is a graceful, affecting testament to a mother and a life well lived. A
SHELF LIFE This memoir about reading novels about life and death is touching and heartfelt
Genre: Nonfiction, Memoir; Author: Will Schwalbe; Publisher: Knopf
Posted September 28 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- MTV classics 'Laguna Beach,' 'Daria,' and more coming back to cable
- M.I.A. slams MTV VMAs for 'racism sexism classism elitism'
- 'Suicide Squad' score: Listen to the first track
- 'Preacher': Tulip wants Jesse to do something nasty in exclusive clip
- 5 football docuseries to prepare you for the NFL season
- Bruce Springsteen to release companion album to memoir
- Anna Faris to release memoir, 'Unqualified'
- 'Alice in Wonderland': Witticisms and Wisdom From the Disney Classic
- 'John Tucker Must Die': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Captivating International Crime Thrillers
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?