It was a book club with just two members: Will Schwalbe and his mother, Mary Anne, who was dying of pancreatic cancer. The pair whiled away dreary hours at chemo by reading everything from Marilynne Robinson’s Gilead to Wallace Stegner’s Crossing to Safety. Their peppery debates were not only about the novels but life and especially death, as Mary Anne bluntly faced her diagnosis — and gently helped her son to as well. The End of Your Life Book Club is a graceful, affecting testament to a mother and a life well lived. A
SHELF LIFE This memoir about reading novels about life and death is touching and heartfelt
Genre: Nonfiction, Memoir; Author: Will Schwalbe; Publisher: Knopf
Posted September 28 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Chicago Med' has two new showrunners
- Fox changes name of its new series 'The Frankenstein Code'
- Chaka Khan set for 'Dancing With the Stars'
- Why Wayne Brady freaked out at the chance to play drag queen Lola in 'Kinky Boots'
- 'American Dad!' renewed for two seasons
- Nicki Minaj will open the MTV VMAs on Sunday
- Miley Cyrus addresses Nicki Minaj's VMAs comments in new interview
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Miley Cyrus, Taylor & Selena, The Voice Crew & More!