It was a book club with just two members: Will Schwalbe and his mother, Mary Anne, who was dying of pancreatic cancer. The pair whiled away dreary hours at chemo by reading everything from Marilynne Robinson’s Gilead to Wallace Stegner’s Crossing to Safety. Their peppery debates were not only about the novels but life and especially death, as Mary Anne bluntly faced her diagnosis — and gently helped her son to as well. The End of Your Life Book Club is a graceful, affecting testament to a mother and a life well lived. A
SHELF LIFE This memoir about reading novels about life and death is touching and heartfelt
Genre: Nonfiction, Memoir; Author: Will Schwalbe; Publisher: Knopf
Posted September 28 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Rob Thomas returns with killer single 'Trust You,' shares details of new solo album
- 'Winter Is Coming Live': Will Stannis make the sacrifice on 'Game of Thrones'?
- 'Winter Is Coming Live': Can Tyrion be trusted on 'Game of Thrones'?
- Kim and Kanye: It's their 1st anniversary
- 'Winter Is Coming Live' recaps the latest 'Game of Thrones' episode, 'The Gift'
- 'Gilmore Girls' movie? Scott Patterson hints at 'some activity'
- Former Virgins frontman Donald Cumming debuts dreamy ballad 'In The Early Hours' -- exclusive
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!