It was a book club with just two members: Will Schwalbe and his mother, Mary Anne, who was dying of pancreatic cancer. The pair whiled away dreary hours at chemo by reading everything from Marilynne Robinson’s Gilead to Wallace Stegner’s Crossing to Safety. Their peppery debates were not only about the novels but life and especially death, as Mary Anne bluntly faced her diagnosis — and gently helped her son to as well. The End of Your Life Book Club is a graceful, affecting testament to a mother and a life well lived. A
SHELF LIFE This memoir about reading novels about life and death is touching and heartfelt
Genre: Nonfiction, Memoir; Author: Will Schwalbe; Status: In Season; Publisher: Knopf
Posted September 28 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters