In 1987, the gay activists who joined forces to battle the AIDS epidemic faced a mountain so steep it was nearly vertical. The inadequacy of the government’s response to the crisis reflected a deep homophobic indifference. Yet how could one fight it? As this stirring, scrupulous doc reveals, the members of ACT UP fused the fervor of revolutionaries, the tenacity of trial lawyers, and the rage of the dispossessed to change the very shape of the epidemic. In doing so, they found hope where there had been only death. A-
HOW TO SURVIVE A PLAGUE (Donna Binder)
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Garance Franke-Ruta, Mark Harrington, Peter Staley; Director: David France; Runtime (in minutes): 110; Distributor: Sundance Selects
Posted September 28 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Furious 7' screenwriter gives update on 'Legend of Conan'
- Jenny Lewis makes Vanessa Bayer cry on 'Sound Advice'
- Listen to an exclusive clip from Paolo Bacigalupi's 'The Water Knife'
- Broadway’s 'King Charles III' casts Prince William, Harry, Kate
- 'Walking Dead' actor would love to play Spider-Man
- Hulk Hogan talks possible villain role in 'Expendables 4'
- Charter/Time Warner deal will affect 1 in 6 households
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- George & Amal, Prince Harry, Ansel Elgort & More!