In 1987, the gay activists who joined forces to battle the AIDS epidemic faced a mountain so steep it was nearly vertical. The inadequacy of the government’s response to the crisis reflected a deep homophobic indifference. Yet how could one fight it? As this stirring, scrupulous doc reveals, the members of ACT UP fused the fervor of revolutionaries, the tenacity of trial lawyers, and the rage of the dispossessed to change the very shape of the epidemic. In doing so, they found hope where there had been only death. A-
HOW TO SURVIVE A PLAGUE (Donna Binder)
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Garance Franke-Ruta, Mark Harrington, Peter Staley; Director: David France; Runtime (in minutes): 110; Distributor: Sundance Selects
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Weinstein Company acquires Matthew McConaughey-starring 'Gold'
- David Beckham stars in a new underwear ad... with James Corden?
- Colin Trevorrow to direct 'Book of Henry' following 'Jurassic World' release
- Michelle Obama to appear on 'The Tonight Show'
- Listen to EW's Sirius XM spotlight on the women of comedy, featuring Kristen Schaal
- De La Soul to fund new album via Kickstarter
- 'Flash'-'Arrow' spinoff finds its Hawkgirl: Broadway star Ciara Renee
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!