In 1987, the gay activists who joined forces to battle the AIDS epidemic faced a mountain so steep it was nearly vertical. The inadequacy of the government’s response to the crisis reflected a deep homophobic indifference. Yet how could one fight it? As this stirring, scrupulous doc reveals, the members of ACT UP fused the fervor of revolutionaries, the tenacity of trial lawyers, and the rage of the dispossessed to change the very shape of the epidemic. In doing so, they found hope where there had been only death. A-
HOW TO SURVIVE A PLAGUE (Donna Binder)
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Garance Franke-Ruta, Mark Harrington, Peter Staley; Director: David France; Release Date Limited: 09/21/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 110; Distributor: Sundance Selects
Posted September 28 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- People are naming their kids after the 'Empire' family
- Academy unveils shortlist of 15 Best Documentary contenders
- Mark Zuckerberg welcomes baby, pledges 99% of Facebook stock to charity
- See exclusive preview pages from Z2 Comics' 'Carver: A Paris Adventure'
- Lady Gaga's 'Poker Face' goes diamond
- Brie Larson and Saoirse Ronan to be honored by Santa Barbara Film Festival
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Stephen & Ciera critique each other on 'Survivor Talk'