In 1987, the gay activists who joined forces to battle the AIDS epidemic faced a mountain so steep it was nearly vertical. The inadequacy of the government’s response to the crisis reflected a deep homophobic indifference. Yet how could one fight it? As this stirring, scrupulous doc reveals, the members of ACT UP fused the fervor of revolutionaries, the tenacity of trial lawyers, and the rage of the dispossessed to change the very shape of the epidemic. In doing so, they found hope where there had been only death. A-
HOW TO SURVIVE A PLAGUE (Donna Binder)
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Garance Franke-Ruta, Mark Harrington, Peter Staley; Director: David France; Release Date Limited: 09/21/2012; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 110; Distributor: Sundance Selects
Posted September 28 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Descendants' react: Did the tale about junior Disney villains cast a spell?
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' producers offer hints about the show's timeline
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!