In 1987, the gay activists who joined forces to battle the AIDS epidemic faced a mountain so steep it was nearly vertical. The inadequacy of the government’s response to the crisis reflected a deep homophobic indifference. Yet how could one fight it? As this stirring, scrupulous doc reveals, the members of ACT UP fused the fervor of revolutionaries, the tenacity of trial lawyers, and the rage of the dispossessed to change the very shape of the epidemic. In doing so, they found hope where there had been only death. A-
HOW TO SURVIVE A PLAGUE (Donna Binder)
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Garance Franke-Ruta, Mark Harrington, Peter Staley; Director: David France; Release Date Limited: 09/21/2012; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 110; Distributor: Sundance Selects
Posted September 28 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Cate Blanchett and Robert Redford's 'Truth' gets October release date
- Salma Hayek on Donald Trump: 'I cannot be insulted by stupidity'
- Learn the story behind National Lampoon in 'Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead' trailer
- 'This Is Me': Watch the Emmy-nominated docuseries right here
- Alicia Keys returns with '28 Thousand Days'
- Jon Stewart reveals his final three 'Daily Show' guests
- 'Key & Peele' have a very 'awkward' conversation about pop-culture opinions
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!