Four years after his overstuffed 1919-set novel The Given Day, which featured Boston cop Danny Coughlin and a glut of big-name cameos, Lehane offers a sequel of sorts. This time the focus is on Danny’s little brother Joe, who defies his lawman dad and brother and goes to work for Italian mobsters — despite his Irish roots and occasional pricks of conscience (or at least aversion to senseless violence). Live by Night is a ripping, movie-ready yarn that jumps from a Boston prison to Tampa speakeasies to a Cuban tobacco farm. B+
MOB MENTALITY This sequel to The Given Day focuses on Boston cop Danny Coughlin's brother Joe
Genre: Fiction; Author: Dennis Lehane; Publisher: William Morrow
Posted September 28 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Vikings' shocker: Creator Michael Hirst talks the death of [spoiler]
- 'Vikings' kills again: A talk with the departing actor
- Casting Net: Viola Davis, Catalina Sandino Moreno star in 'Custody'
- Obama talks 'The Wire' with David Simon
- Warner Bros wins bid for rights to viral 'Sundays' short
- Oscar producers Meron, Zadan moving on
- Craig T. Nelson back as Hayden Fox in NBC 'Coach' revival
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!