Four years after his overstuffed 1919-set novel The Given Day, which featured Boston cop Danny Coughlin and a glut of big-name cameos, Lehane offers a sequel of sorts. This time the focus is on Danny’s little brother Joe, who defies his lawman dad and brother and goes to work for Italian mobsters — despite his Irish roots and occasional pricks of conscience (or at least aversion to senseless violence). Live by Night is a ripping, movie-ready yarn that jumps from a Boston prison to Tampa speakeasies to a Cuban tobacco farm. B+
MOB MENTALITY This sequel to The Given Day focuses on Boston cop Danny Coughlin's brother Joe
Genre: Fiction; Author: Dennis Lehane; Publisher: William Morrow
Posted September 28 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Jimmy Kimmel makes peace with gamers after week-long feud
- Joan Rivers remembered during special episode of 'Fashion Police'
- Jimmy Kimmel unveils new 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- Jason Sudeikis plays Drinko with Jimmy Fallon on 'The Tonight Show'
- How the novel 'Star Wars: Aftermath' sets up 'The Force Awakens'
- The lawsuit over 'Mr. Holmes' has been settled, attorney says
- Kristen Bell’s gift to Dax Shepard makes us all miss 'Parenthood'
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Tom Hardy, Alessandra Ambrósio, Bindi Irwin & More!