Four years after his overstuffed 1919-set novel The Given Day, which featured Boston cop Danny Coughlin and a glut of big-name cameos, Lehane offers a sequel of sorts. This time the focus is on Danny’s little brother Joe, who defies his lawman dad and brother and goes to work for Italian mobsters — despite his Irish roots and occasional pricks of conscience (or at least aversion to senseless violence). Live by Night is a ripping, movie-ready yarn that jumps from a Boston prison to Tampa speakeasies to a Cuban tobacco farm. B+
MOB MENTALITY This sequel to The Given Day focuses on Boston cop Danny Coughlin's brother Joe
Genre: Fiction; Author: Dennis Lehane; Publisher: William Morrow
Posted September 28 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Casting Net: James Marsden, Rosario Dawson, more lend voices to 'Henchmen'
- From People: Bruce Jenner to pose as woman for 'Vanity Fair' cover
- Judy Greer and Nat Faxon preview 'Married' season 2
- Universal TV to adapt 'The Wicked + The Divine' comic for TV
- I'm not buying Emma Stone as an Asian-American in 'Aloha'
- Iggy Azalea cancels tour
- Marvel contest gives teen girls the chance to attend 'Ant-Man' premiere
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 best festivals
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 biggest albums
- TV Season Finale Awards: YOUR 2015 winners are...
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- Cruel Intentions Reunion, Kim Kardashian, Soleil & Demi and More!