Four years after his overstuffed 1919-set novel The Given Day, which featured Boston cop Danny Coughlin and a glut of big-name cameos, Lehane offers a sequel of sorts. This time the focus is on Danny’s little brother Joe, who defies his lawman dad and brother and goes to work for Italian mobsters — despite his Irish roots and occasional pricks of conscience (or at least aversion to senseless violence). Live by Night is a ripping, movie-ready yarn that jumps from a Boston prison to Tampa speakeasies to a Cuban tobacco farm. B+
MOB MENTALITY This sequel to The Given Day focuses on Boston cop Danny Coughlin's brother Joe
Genre: Fiction; Author: Dennis Lehane; Publisher: William Morrow
Posted September 28 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Casting Net: M. Night Shyamalan's new supernatural thriller adds four actors
- 'Chicago Fire' recap: 'Let it Burn'
- Top 5 'Muppets' moments from 'Pig Out'
- 'Pretty Little Liars' EP to produce 'Famous in Love' drama pilot starring Bella Thorne
- 'Arrow' actor Neal McDonough on bringing Damien Darhk to life
- Lamar Odom hospitalized after he was found unconscious at brothel
- E! is going to spin off 'Botched'
- 12 Instagram Photos of Pitbull Hanging Out with Celebrities
- 25 Unforgettable Dresses From the Past 25 Years
- Box Office Flops: 19 Notorious Opening Weekends
- EW's 25 Best Movies in 25 Years
- EW Reunions: Bonus portraits of your favorite TV and movie casts
- 'The Walking Dead': 15 Exclusive Storyboard Illustrations From Season 6