The anteroom in question is that of the ER at a big public hospital in Oakland, where those with no medical insurance can receive treatment. But first they wait. And wait. Weaving expertly selected and edited stories of patients and staff into a representative fabric of urban health issues, this exemplary specimen of highly effective cinema vérité by Bay Area filmmaker Peter Nicks does best by sticking to its business: Nicks reports on what American public medicine looks like today. You decide if it’s working or not. A-
THE WAITING ROOM (Ken Light)
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Demia Bruce, Davelo Lujuan, Eric Morgan; Director: Peter Nicks; Release Date Limited: 09/14/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 81; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: International Film Circuit
Posted September 28 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' postmortem: Elizabeth Henstridge talks surprising return
- The 10 most-promising 'Voice' contestants
- Top 5 'Muppets' moments from 'Bear Left Then Bear Write'
- Johnny Cash and Miranda Lambert get stars on the Music City Walk of Fame
- Casting Net: Jennifer Aniston, Jack Huston fly with 'The Yellow Birds'
- Hannibal Buress shares unaired 'Unemployable' pilot
- 'The Flash' boss on heartbreaking premiere twist