The anteroom in question is that of the ER at a big public hospital in Oakland, where those with no medical insurance can receive treatment. But first they wait. And wait. Weaving expertly selected and edited stories of patients and staff into a representative fabric of urban health issues, this exemplary specimen of highly effective cinema vérité by Bay Area filmmaker Peter Nicks does best by sticking to its business: Nicks reports on what American public medicine looks like today. You decide if it’s working or not. A-
THE WAITING ROOM (Ken Light)
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Demia Bruce, Davelo Lujuan, Eric Morgan; Director: Peter Nicks; Runtime (in minutes): 81; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: International Film Circuit
Posted September 28 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Modest Mouse share 'Of Course We Know,' announce tour dates
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt