The anteroom in question is that of the ER at a big public hospital in Oakland, where those with no medical insurance can receive treatment. But first they wait. And wait. Weaving expertly selected and edited stories of patients and staff into a representative fabric of urban health issues, this exemplary specimen of highly effective cinema vérité by Bay Area filmmaker Peter Nicks does best by sticking to its business: Nicks reports on what American public medicine looks like today. You decide if it’s working or not. A-
THE WAITING ROOM (Ken Light)
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Demia Bruce, Davelo Lujuan, Eric Morgan; Director: Peter Nicks; Release Date Limited: 09/14/2012; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 81; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: International Film Circuit
Posted September 28 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- This week in 1995: Regrading the top 10 singles
- Creepoid made us a playlist paying tribute to the noisiest DJ night in Philadelphia
- FKA twigs makes Monday sexy with hot new track, 'Figure 8'
- Demi Lovato explains how she's like Nicki Minaj & Rihanna
- John Oliver: 'It's hard to overstate' Jon Stewart's influence on my career
- Watch Drake and LeBron James (almost) play kickball
- Simon Kinberg defends 'Fantastic 4': 'It’s not a disaster'