Feel-good music can be annoying if you’re not, y’know, feeling good. Even with handclaps, tap-dancing synths, and cheerleader chants, though, the Brooklyn duo sound more punk than twee in Lightning. Songs with shotglass-half-full titles like ”It’s Alright” and ”Not That Bad” build to fist-pump choruses, but there’s just enough attitude to counter that rah-rah spirit. ”You think I’m some little phony?” Matt asks happily. ”Thing is, you don’t f—ing know me!” Only these two could make a total f— you sound upbeat. B+
PUNK ROOTS The feel-good album has just enough attitude to make it work (Ethan Miller/Getty Images)
Genre: Pop; Music Label: Fader
Posted October 1 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Jordana Brewster looks back on 'The Fast and the Furious'
- WATCH: Pierce Brosnan is selling a new drug in 'Urge' exclusive clip
- 'Nashville': Relive the 10 biggest guest star performances
- How the 'Roots' producers found their new Kunta Kinte
- WATCH: Sam Claflin was an ‘emotional wreck’ filming 'Me Before You'
- 'Supernatural': Why season 11 is the show's best in six years
- Did 'The Flash' just introduce Black Flash?