Feel-good music can be annoying if you’re not, y’know, feeling good. Even with handclaps, tap-dancing synths, and cheerleader chants, though, the Brooklyn duo sound more punk than twee in Lightning. Songs with shotglass-half-full titles like ”It’s Alright” and ”Not That Bad” build to fist-pump choruses, but there’s just enough attitude to counter that rah-rah spirit. ”You think I’m some little phony?” Matt asks happily. ”Thing is, you don’t f—ing know me!” Only these two could make a total f— you sound upbeat. B+
PUNK ROOTS The feel-good album has just enough attitude to make it work (Ethan Miller/Getty Images)
Genre: Pop; Status: In Season; Music Label: Fader
Posted October 1 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters