Feel-good music can be annoying if you’re not, y’know, feeling good. Even with handclaps, tap-dancing synths, and cheerleader chants, though, the Brooklyn duo sound more punk than twee in Lightning. Songs with shotglass-half-full titles like ”It’s Alright” and ”Not That Bad” build to fist-pump choruses, but there’s just enough attitude to counter that rah-rah spirit. ”You think I’m some little phony?” Matt asks happily. ”Thing is, you don’t f—ing know me!” Only these two could make a total f— you sound upbeat. B+
PUNK ROOTS The feel-good album has just enough attitude to make it work (Ethan Miller/Getty Images)
Genre: Pop; Status: In Season; Music Label: Fader
Posted October 1 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Fall 2015 TV pilots: Updated full list
- Kanye West tweets apologies to Beck and Bruno Mars
- 'Agents of SHIELD' unveils new poster art: Here's 'Aftershocks'
- Elizabeth Hurley gets slap happy in 'Royals' clip: First Look
- Bruce Willis indie-thriller Wake halts production due to lack of funding
- Catwoman comes out as bisexual in new issue of comic book
- 'Grey's Anatomy': What's next for Amelia and Owen?
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!