Feel-good music can be annoying if you’re not, y’know, feeling good. Even with handclaps, tap-dancing synths, and cheerleader chants, though, the Brooklyn duo sound more punk than twee in Lightning. Songs with shotglass-half-full titles like ”It’s Alright” and ”Not That Bad” build to fist-pump choruses, but there’s just enough attitude to counter that rah-rah spirit. ”You think I’m some little phony?” Matt asks happily. ”Thing is, you don’t f—ing know me!” Only these two could make a total f— you sound upbeat. B+
PUNK ROOTS The feel-good album has just enough attitude to make it work (Ethan Miller/Getty Images)
Genre: Pop; Music Label: Fader
Posted October 1 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Exclusive: Cooper and Josh duke it out ahead of ‘Young & Hungry' spring finale
- Margaret Atwood submits story to Future Library, and no one will read it until 2114
- Ashley Greene is dying for some loving in exclusive scene from 'Burying the Ex'
- Kellan Lutz on what to expect from Fox's new stunt show, 'Bullseye'
- Julian Casablancas and The Voidz release 'Human Sadness' video
- Robert Rodriguez + 'Jonny Quest': Report
- 'A Walk In The Woods' trailer: Watch Robert Redford, Nick Nolte hike the Appalachian Trail
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Lady Gaga, The Rock, Demi Lovato & More!