David Blaine has announced his next stunt and this one’s literally shocking.
The illusionist held a press conference on Tuesday to describe the challenge, which is called “Electrified: One Million Volts Always On.” Starting on Friday, Blaine will spend three days and three nights conducting a million volts of current channeled by Tesla coils in a stunt worthy of Jason Statham’s Crank character. (Hey studios, I’m thinking Crank 3: Tesla Ignition.) The illusion will take place on New York’s Pier 54, where spectators will be allowed to participate by writing messages to Blaine, manipulating the current around him and generally helping him stay awake. Here’s hoping David Bowie puts in an appearance.
“I don’t know how I could ever top this,” Blaine said. “This is an overly-ambitious idea, and I’m literally shocked that it came together. This is one of the craziest things that I ever dreamed up, and I don’t know how I could go beyond it.”
In honor of Friday’s stunt, we’ve put together a list of his most memorable feats thus far. Check it out below:
1. Frozen in Time: In 2000, Blaine spent 63 hours encased in a block of ice in the middle of Times Square.
2. Vertigo: Two years after being frozen alive, Blaine stood on a 100-foot high, 22-inch wide pillar for 35 hours.
3. Above the Below: And 63 hours seemed bad enough. For this 2003 stunt, Blaine spent 44 days in a box hanging over the Thames. He survived on only 4.5 litres of water per day and ended up losing 25 percent of his original body weight.
4. Drowned Alive: Blaine was submerged under water for seven days and seven nights. Just to make it harder, he capped the event by trying to break the record for holding one’s breath underwater – while escaping from handcuffs and chains at the same time. Please enjoy this video set to The Police’s “Every Breath You Take.”
5. Dive of Death: In 2008, Blaine hung upside down without a safety net in Central Park for 60 hours.
But Street Magic will always be my favorite Blaine’s illusion (the TV show, not the YouTube edition – though I highly suggest you check that out as well). Are you excited for Blaine’s next stunt? Or are you over his Barnum-cum-Houdini gimmicks? Sound off below!