This winning literary adventure, Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore, has all the elements of geek hipsterdom: fantasy novels, role-playing games, computer coding, and classic typography. Clay Jannon goes to work at a mysterious San Francisco bookstore that’s an outpost for a scholarly cult, then recruits a high-tech posse to crack a 15th-century code. Despite occasional stumbles — it’s best not to overvisualize computer-hacking sessions — Sloan grounds his jigsawlike plot with Big Ideas about the quest for permanence in the digital age. B+
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour BookstoreThis winning literary adventure, Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, has all the elements of geek hipsterdom: fantasy novels, role-playing...Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour BookstoreFictionRobin SloanThis winning literary adventure, Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, has all the elements of geek hipsterdom: fantasy novels, role-playing...2012-10-05Farrar, Straus & Giroux
LITERARY ADVENTURE Sloan explores the quest for permanence in an unstable digital age
Genre: Fiction; Author: Robin Sloan; Publisher: Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Posted October 5 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Ariana Grande rides into the desert with new guy in 'Into You' video
- 'Blindspot' unveils summer-long social scavenger hunt
- 'Blindspot' shocker: Who is Jane Doe, really?
- Animals with A-list voices take center stage in full 'Sing' trailer
- Nyle DiMarco’s freestyle is ‘best’ in ‘DWTS’ history, Carrie-Ann Inaba says
- '12 Monkeys': What's happened to Railly?
- 'The Flash': Can Barry stop Zoom from destroying the multi-verse?