This winning literary adventure, Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore, has all the elements of geek hipsterdom: fantasy novels, role-playing games, computer coding, and classic typography. Clay Jannon goes to work at a mysterious San Francisco bookstore that’s an outpost for a scholarly cult, then recruits a high-tech posse to crack a 15th-century code. Despite occasional stumbles — it’s best not to overvisualize computer-hacking sessions — Sloan grounds his jigsawlike plot with Big Ideas about the quest for permanence in the digital age. B+
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour BookstoreThis winning literary adventure, Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, has all the elements of geek hipsterdom: fantasy novels, role-playing...Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour BookstoreFictionRobin SloanThis winning literary adventure, Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, has all the elements of geek hipsterdom: fantasy novels, role-playing...2012-10-05Farrar, Straus & Giroux
LITERARY ADVENTURE Sloan explores the quest for permanence in an unstable digital age
Genre: Fiction; Author: Robin Sloan; Publisher: Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Posted October 5 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Chris Pine reportedly signed for 'Wonder Woman'
- 'Orange Is the New Black': What happened to Nicky Nichols?
- Lee Daniels goes behind the scenes of 'American Crime Story'
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall talks controversial elimination
- 'Doctor Who' is headed to theaters in September
- Aziz Ansari's Netflix comedy snags Claire Danes and more
- Harris Wittels' cause of death confirmed to be accidental overdose
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!