This winning literary adventure, Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore, has all the elements of geek hipsterdom: fantasy novels, role-playing games, computer coding, and classic typography. Clay Jannon goes to work at a mysterious San Francisco bookstore that’s an outpost for a scholarly cult, then recruits a high-tech posse to crack a 15th-century code. Despite occasional stumbles — it’s best not to overvisualize computer-hacking sessions — Sloan grounds his jigsawlike plot with Big Ideas about the quest for permanence in the digital age. B+
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour BookstoreThis winning literary adventure, Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, has all the elements of geek hipsterdom: fantasy novels, role-playing...Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour BookstoreFictionRobin SloanThis winning literary adventure, Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, has all the elements of geek hipsterdom: fantasy novels, role-playing...2012-10-05Farrar, Straus & Giroux
LITERARY ADVENTURE Sloan explores the quest for permanence in an unstable digital age
Genre: Fiction; Author: Robin Sloan; Publisher: Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Posted October 5 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Criminal Minds': Thomas Gibson returns for premiere
- 'Birth of a Nation' director Nate Parker to appear on '60 Minutes'
- Bon Iver played a surprise concert at Berlin hotel
- 'Empire': Listen to 'Infamous' by Mariah Carey, Jussie Smollett & cast
- Marvel's 'Black Panther' has found another villain
- Brad Pitt takes voluntary drug test for DCFS investigation
- 'Blindspot': Can Jane trust Roman?