This winning literary adventure, Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore, has all the elements of geek hipsterdom: fantasy novels, role-playing games, computer coding, and classic typography. Clay Jannon goes to work at a mysterious San Francisco bookstore that’s an outpost for a scholarly cult, then recruits a high-tech posse to crack a 15th-century code. Despite occasional stumbles — it’s best not to overvisualize computer-hacking sessions — Sloan grounds his jigsawlike plot with Big Ideas about the quest for permanence in the digital age. B+
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour BookstoreThis winning literary adventure, Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, has all the elements of geek hipsterdom: fantasy novels, role-playing...Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour BookstoreFictionRobin SloanThis winning literary adventure, Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, has all the elements of geek hipsterdom: fantasy novels, role-playing...2012-10-05Farrar, Straus & Giroux
LITERARY ADVENTURE Sloan explores the quest for permanence in an unstable digital age
Genre: Fiction; Author: Robin Sloan; Publisher: Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Posted October 5 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- NBC announces casting call for Dorothy in 'The Wiz Live!'
- Here's who Andy Serkis will play in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens'...
- 'Point Break' is hosting a Battle of the Bands for an 'extreme' soundtrack anthem
- 'Urban Cowboy' remake in the works at FOX
- Aunt Becky is back for 'Fuller House'
- Who wants to have a sleepover in Conan O'Brien's studio?
- Amy Schumer shuts down rumors of a 'Bachelorette' meeting