This winning literary adventure, Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore, has all the elements of geek hipsterdom: fantasy novels, role-playing games, computer coding, and classic typography. Clay Jannon goes to work at a mysterious San Francisco bookstore that’s an outpost for a scholarly cult, then recruits a high-tech posse to crack a 15th-century code. Despite occasional stumbles — it’s best not to overvisualize computer-hacking sessions — Sloan grounds his jigsawlike plot with Big Ideas about the quest for permanence in the digital age. B+
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour BookstoreThis winning literary adventure, Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, has all the elements of geek hipsterdom: fantasy novels, role-playing...Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour BookstoreFictionRobin SloanThis winning literary adventure, Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, has all the elements of geek hipsterdom: fantasy novels, role-playing...2012-10-05Farrar, Straus & Giroux
LITERARY ADVENTURE Sloan explores the quest for permanence in an unstable digital age
Genre: Fiction; Author: Robin Sloan; Publisher: Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Posted October 5 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Scream Queens' season 2 promo pics: The doctors (and nurses) are in
- Marvin Kaplan, 'Alice' and 'Top Cat' actor, dies at 89
- Kanye West's Saint Pablo Tour has a flying stage
- 'American Horror Story' teaser channels 'Children of the Corn'
- Mayim Bialik, Marcie Leeds recreate their 'Beaches' opening scene
- Demi Moore joins R-rated comedy 'Rock That Body'
- Reese Witherspoon is 'thinking about’ another 'Legally Blonde' sequel