The guy who made the teddy-bear movie is hosting the Academy Awards, but don’t expect a lot of warm-and-fuzzies. If there’s one thing we’ve learned about Seth MacFarlane, from his talking-stuffed-animal movie Ted to his TV shows Family Guy and American Dad to his hosting of Saturday Night Live and Comedy Central’s Charlie Sheen roast, it’s that the guy has a twisted take on almost any occasion. On Feb. 24, it’ll just be a black-tie one. Producers Neil Meron and Craig Zadan have faith he’ll find the right balance between reverence and snark. ”He is witty, charming, he sings, and — even though he doesn’t think so — he can dance,” Meron tells EW. And while MacFarlane’s humor can skew a little strange, he’s willing to dial it down for the Oscars. ”I don’t know that we’re going for weird or bizarre…” says MacFarlane. ”Unless Lady Gaga dresses you!” Zadan chimes in. MacFarlane in a meat tuxedo? ”Then the ceremony and the dinner can all be rolled into one!” the host jokes. That will be the trick: finding a way to keep it both raw and well-done.
Posted October 5 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The View' gets new theme song: Mary J. Blige's 'World's Gone Crazy'
- 'The Walking Dead': Jeffrey Dean Morgan had no idea about cliffhanger
- Nick Offerman previews 'Good Clean Fun' and announces tour
- Diana Gordon makes powerful TV debut on 'Colbert'
- Mary Elizabeth Winstead recalls Michael Moore sex scene on 'BrainDead'
- 'Rings' trailer brings Samara back for more scares
- Stephen Colbert helps Rami Malek make his first Instagram post
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...