In a few years, film as we know it — film as physical object — will be more or less a thing of the past. The evolution to digital is a sea change, but how does it affect the movies we see? Side by Side, an intoxicating documentary by director Chris Kenneally and producer Keanu Reeves (who does searching onscreen interviews with filmmakers, editors, and cinematographers) is a meditation on the ways that art and technology flow into each other. It’s a lesson in character to hear directors from David Lynch (digital believer) to Christopher Nolan (celluloid diehard) spout off. (Also available on VOD) A
DIGITAL CINEMA Keanu Reeves in Side by Side (Chris Cassidy)
Genre: Documentary; Release Date Limited: 08/17/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 109
Posted October 5 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall on why the judges 'floored' him this week
- Christina Applegate is a terrible Meryl Streep in Funny or Die's Lifetime spoof
- Wrestling legend Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka charged in 1983 murder
- Meet Denise, Kermit the Frog's new love interest
- And the Oscar producing gig goes to...
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!