In a few years, film as we know it — film as physical object — will be more or less a thing of the past. The evolution to digital is a sea change, but how does it affect the movies we see? Side by Side, an intoxicating documentary by director Chris Kenneally and producer Keanu Reeves (who does searching onscreen interviews with filmmakers, editors, and cinematographers) is a meditation on the ways that art and technology flow into each other. It’s a lesson in character to hear directors from David Lynch (digital believer) to Christopher Nolan (celluloid diehard) spout off. (Also available on VOD) A
DIGITAL CINEMA Keanu Reeves in Side by Side (Chris Cassidy)
Genre: Documentary; Release Date Limited: 08/17/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 109
Posted October 5 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Watch Tom Bergeron discover his fancy roots on 'Who Do You Think You Are?'
- Steve Carell joins Woody Allen's next movie, replacing Bruce Willis
- 'Complications' canceled at USA
- 'No Escape' reviews: What are the critics saying?
- Darren Criss & Aaron Tveit duet 'Take Me or Leave Me' from 'Rent'
- Julian Seinfeld's lemonade stand shut down by the police
- J.K. Rowling applauds 'Harry Potter' stars' Twitter rivalry
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!