In a few years, film as we know it — film as physical object — will be more or less a thing of the past. The evolution to digital is a sea change, but how does it affect the movies we see? Side by Side, an intoxicating documentary by director Chris Kenneally and producer Keanu Reeves (who does searching onscreen interviews with filmmakers, editors, and cinematographers) is a meditation on the ways that art and technology flow into each other. It’s a lesson in character to hear directors from David Lynch (digital believer) to Christopher Nolan (celluloid diehard) spout off. (Also available on VOD) A
DIGITAL CINEMA Keanu Reeves in Side by Side (Chris Cassidy)
Genre: Documentary; Release Date Limited: 08/17/2012; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 109
Posted October 5 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- 'Descendants' react: Did the tale about junior Disney villains cast a spell?
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' producers offer hints about the show's timeline
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!