In a few years, film as we know it — film as physical object — will be more or less a thing of the past. The evolution to digital is a sea change, but how does it affect the movies we see? Side by Side, an intoxicating documentary by director Chris Kenneally and producer Keanu Reeves (who does searching onscreen interviews with filmmakers, editors, and cinematographers) is a meditation on the ways that art and technology flow into each other. It’s a lesson in character to hear directors from David Lynch (digital believer) to Christopher Nolan (celluloid diehard) spout off. (Also available on VOD) A
DIGITAL CINEMA Keanu Reeves in Side by Side (Chris Cassidy)
Genre: Documentary; Release Date Limited: 08/17/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 109
Posted October 5 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Oscar frontrunners set to gather at EW PopFest
- Tom Hanks still remembers the rap from 'Big'
- 'Walking Dead' quiz: How well do you know dead characters' last lines?
- Sean Penn on the political relevance of 'Bob Honey Who Just Do Stuff'
- Margot Robbie in talks to join 'Peter Rabbit' movie
- Why 'The Conjuring' is the perfect Halloween movie
- Isis King is 'the Kate Moss of the trans models' in 'Strut' finale clip