Smashed, the affecting story of a young couple bound by shared drunkenness, follows in the long cinema-of-addiction tradition of Days of Wine and Roses. But what’s new about the unsensationalized portrait of one-day-at-a-time progress (and setbacks) is the low-key energy of this drunks’ tale, by and for a generation with a high tolerance for humor and a low tolerance for soapiness. It’s also a project shaped by television sensibilities, with a strong cast headed by Breaking Bad’s Aaron Paul and former horror-movie scream queen Mary Elizabeth Winstead, as the partner who wants to dry out. A-
PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE Smashed is an unsensationalized portrait of recovery (Oana Marian)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Megan Mullally, Nick Offerman, Aaron Paul, Octavia Spencer, Mary Elizabeth Winstead; Director: James Ponsoldt; Release Date Limited: 10/12/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 85; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted October 5 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Hannibal' music supervisor on working with Siouxsie Sioux for the finale's song
- Hugh Dancy explains that shocking 'Hannibal' series finale
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!