Smashed, the affecting story of a young couple bound by shared drunkenness, follows in the long cinema-of-addiction tradition of Days of Wine and Roses. But what’s new about the unsensationalized portrait of one-day-at-a-time progress (and setbacks) is the low-key energy of this drunks’ tale, by and for a generation with a high tolerance for humor and a low tolerance for soapiness. It’s also a project shaped by television sensibilities, with a strong cast headed by Breaking Bad’s Aaron Paul and former horror-movie scream queen Mary Elizabeth Winstead, as the partner who wants to dry out. A-
PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE Smashed is an unsensationalized portrait of recovery (Oana Marian)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Megan Mullally, Nick Offerman, Aaron Paul, Octavia Spencer, Mary Elizabeth Winstead; Director: James Ponsoldt; Release Date Limited: 10/12/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 85; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted October 5 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Once Upon a Time': The hooded figure is revealed!
- Justin Bieber confirms he's single: 'I'm not really looking either'
- 'The Walking Dead' star Steven Yeun marries Joana Pak
- Donald Trump makes cinema great again on hilarious Instagram account
- 'Transformers' teases new trailer in behind-the-scenes clip
- Vanessa Bayer shares backstage photos of Jennifer Aniston on 'SNL'
- Box office: 'Moana' tops for second week, Disney sets industry record
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big