Smashed, the affecting story of a young couple bound by shared drunkenness, follows in the long cinema-of-addiction tradition of Days of Wine and Roses. But what’s new about the unsensationalized portrait of one-day-at-a-time progress (and setbacks) is the low-key energy of this drunks’ tale, by and for a generation with a high tolerance for humor and a low tolerance for soapiness. It’s also a project shaped by television sensibilities, with a strong cast headed by Breaking Bad’s Aaron Paul and former horror-movie scream queen Mary Elizabeth Winstead, as the partner who wants to dry out. A-
PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE Smashed is an unsensationalized portrait of recovery (Oana Marian)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Megan Mullally, Nick Offerman, Aaron Paul, Octavia Spencer, Mary Elizabeth Winstead; Director: James Ponsoldt; Runtime (in minutes): 85; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted October 5 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Casting Net: James Marsden, Rosario Dawson, more lend voices to 'Henchmen'
- Bruce Jenner in photo shoot as woman
- Judy Greer and Nat Faxon preview 'Married' season 2
- Universal TV to adapt 'The Wicked + The Divine' comic for TV
- I'm not buying Emma Stone as an Asian-American in 'Aloha'
- Iggy Azalea cancels Great Escape Tour
- Marvel contest gives teen girls the chance to attend 'Ant-Man' premiere
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 best festivals
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 biggest albums
- TV Season Finale Awards: YOUR 2015 winners are...
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- Cruel Intentions Reunion, Kim Kardashian, Soleil & Demi and More!