Smashed, the affecting story of a young couple bound by shared drunkenness, follows in the long cinema-of-addiction tradition of Days of Wine and Roses. But what’s new about the unsensationalized portrait of one-day-at-a-time progress (and setbacks) is the low-key energy of this drunks’ tale, by and for a generation with a high tolerance for humor and a low tolerance for soapiness. It’s also a project shaped by television sensibilities, with a strong cast headed by Breaking Bad’s Aaron Paul and former horror-movie scream queen Mary Elizabeth Winstead, as the partner who wants to dry out. A-
PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE Smashed is an unsensationalized portrait of recovery (Oana Marian)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Megan Mullally, Nick Offerman, Aaron Paul, Octavia Spencer, Mary Elizabeth Winstead; Director: James Ponsoldt; Release Date Limited: 10/12/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 85; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted October 5 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- Watch Tom Bergeron discover his fancy roots on 'Who Do You Think You Are?'
- Steve Carell joins Woody Allen's next movie, replacing Bruce Willis
- 'Complications' canceled at USA
- 'No Escape' reviews: What are the critics saying?
- Darren Criss & Aaron Tveit duet 'Take Me or Leave Me' from 'Rent'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!