These days, the typical Hollywood action movie is a bloodless PG-13 affair featuring a protagonist on a journey of self-discovery. Then there’s Dredd 3D, a darkly funny blood-soaked romp about a guy in a helmet who kills a lot of people. Karl Urban stars as a supercop locked in a skyscraper filled with criminals who want him dead. Adapted from the same British comic as Stallone’s forgettable Judge Dredd, this one makes the most of a familiar Die Hard-ish premise. Director of photography Anthony Dod Mantle creates an evocative dirty-neon future world. Paul Leonard-Morgan’s thumping techno soundtrack is thrilling. And Urban manages to give a credibly wry performance using little more than his gravelly, imitation-Eastwood voice — and his chin. B+
TEENAGE DREAM Karl Urban plays cop Jude Dredd after aspiring for decades for the role (Joe Alblas)
Genre: Action/Adventure; Starring: Lena Headey, Karl Urban; Director: Pete Travis; Release Date Wide: 09/21/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 98; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Lionsgate
Posted October 19 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Once Upon a Time' sneak peek: Watch Jasmine and Aladdin meet
- Megyn Kelly grills Donna Brazile about alleged leaked email
- 'Top Chef' cooks up fresh drama in season 14 trailer
- WATCH: Michael J. Fox, Lea Thompson on the DeLorean from 'Back to the Future'
- Madonna, Jay Z nab Songwriters Hall of Fame nominations
- Lady Gaga wrote a 'Joanne' track about Trayvon Martin's death
- Michael J. Fox talks about the timeless nature of 'Back to the Future'