These days, the typical Hollywood action movie is a bloodless PG-13 affair featuring a protagonist on a journey of self-discovery. Then there’s Dredd 3D, a darkly funny blood-soaked romp about a guy in a helmet who kills a lot of people. Karl Urban stars as a supercop locked in a skyscraper filled with criminals who want him dead. Adapted from the same British comic as Stallone’s forgettable Judge Dredd, this one makes the most of a familiar Die Hard-ish premise. Director of photography Anthony Dod Mantle creates an evocative dirty-neon future world. Paul Leonard-Morgan’s thumping techno soundtrack is thrilling. And Urban manages to give a credibly wry performance using little more than his gravelly, imitation-Eastwood voice — and his chin. B+
TEENAGE DREAM Karl Urban plays cop Jude Dredd after aspiring for decades for the role (Joe Alblas)
Genre: Action/Adventure; Starring: Lena Headey, Karl Urban; Director: Pete Travis; Release Date Wide: 09/21/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 98; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Lionsgate
Posted October 19 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Shonda Rhimes’ first book, 'Year Of Yes,' is due out this fall
- Hear Tom Petty's new song from the Entourage movie
- Scooby-Doo, The Simpsons, 'Doctor Who' heading to 'Lego Dimensions'
- Adam Rodriguez joins 'Empire' cast ahead of season 2
- Watch the trailer for HBO's gun violence documentary 'Requiem for the Dead'
- Milo Ventimiglia to attend 'Gilmore Girls' reunion at ATX Festival
- 'Big Bang Theory' characters go LEGO: First Look