These days, the typical Hollywood action movie is a bloodless PG-13 affair featuring a protagonist on a journey of self-discovery. Then there’s Dredd 3D, a darkly funny blood-soaked romp about a guy in a helmet who kills a lot of people. Karl Urban stars as a supercop locked in a skyscraper filled with criminals who want him dead. Adapted from the same British comic as Stallone’s forgettable Judge Dredd, this one makes the most of a familiar Die Hard-ish premise. Director of photography Anthony Dod Mantle creates an evocative dirty-neon future world. Paul Leonard-Morgan’s thumping techno soundtrack is thrilling. And Urban manages to give a credibly wry performance using little more than his gravelly, imitation-Eastwood voice — and his chin. B+
TEENAGE DREAM Karl Urban plays cop Jude Dredd after aspiring for decades for the role (Joe Alblas)
Genre: Action/Adventure; Starring: Lena Headey, Karl Urban; Director: Pete Travis; Release Date Wide: 09/21/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 98; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Lionsgate
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- 'It Follows': The story behind the score
- Q&A: J.K. Rowling bibliographer Philip W. Errington tells us even more Harry Potter secrets
- The Winklevii will have a cameo on 'Silicon Valley'
- Masi Oka's Hiro Nakamura will return for 'Heroes Reborn'
- Drea de Matteo loses apartment in fire
- 'Fifty Shades' sequel: Who should direct it?
- Get tipsy with Blake Shelton in the new video for 'Sangria'
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Katy Perry, Kenny & Taylor, Josh Peck and More!