These days, the typical Hollywood action movie is a bloodless PG-13 affair featuring a protagonist on a journey of self-discovery. Then there’s Dredd 3D, a darkly funny blood-soaked romp about a guy in a helmet who kills a lot of people. Karl Urban stars as a supercop locked in a skyscraper filled with criminals who want him dead. Adapted from the same British comic as Stallone’s forgettable Judge Dredd, this one makes the most of a familiar Die Hard-ish premise. Director of photography Anthony Dod Mantle creates an evocative dirty-neon future world. Paul Leonard-Morgan’s thumping techno soundtrack is thrilling. And Urban manages to give a credibly wry performance using little more than his gravelly, imitation-Eastwood voice — and his chin. B+
TEENAGE DREAM Karl Urban plays cop Jude Dredd after aspiring for decades for the role (Joe Alblas)
Genre: Action/Adventure; Starring: Lena Headey, Karl Urban; Director: Pete Travis; Release Date Wide: 09/21/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 98; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Lionsgate
Posted October 19 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Tuck Everlasting' becomes mortal, will close on Broadway
- There's no escaping the clown costume in Eli Roth-produced 'Clown'
- Jessica Lowndes is creeped out in Darren Lynn Bousman's 'Abattoir'
- Stephen King, hundreds of writers sign petition against Donald Trump
- Sacha Baron Cohen on the time Ali G met Donald Trump
- 'Chicago P.D.' boss previews fight for Voight's soul in season finale
- NFL: Super Bowl is coming to L.A., Atlanta, South Florida