An energetically demented psycho-killer comedy set in faux-noir L.A., Seven Psychopaths rollicks along to the unique narrative beat and language stylings of Anglo-Irish writer-director Martin McDonagh (In Bruges), channeling Quentin Tarantino. The oddballs, miscreants, bumblers, and loons who get up to all kinds of no good in this meta tale of moviemaking and crazy ambition include In Bruges’ Colin Farrell as Marty, an alcoholic screenwriter; a full-tilt-loopy Sam Rockwell as Martin’s maniacally eager-to-help best friend, Billy; and Christopher Walken (who’s got first dibs forever on playing unhinged gentlemen) as Billy’s partner in the business of dognapping. Between shoot-outs, female characters getting offed (while the male characters discuss the sexism of female characters getting offed), and Tom Waits forever fondling a pet rabbit, McDonagh has a fine time deconstructing movie genres in the SoCal sunshine. So do we. B+
DOG DAYS Colin Farrell and Sam Rockwell steal a dog from a crime boss (Chuck Zlotnick)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Colin Farrell, Woody Harrelson, Christopher Walken, Abbie Cornish, Sam Rockwell; Director: Martin McDonagh; Release Date Wide: 10/12/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 110; Distributor: CBS Films
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- 'Walking Dead' showrunner Scott M. Gimple teases NEXT season
- 'Walking Dead' season finale: Our quick take on 'Conquer'--and yours?
- Justin Timberlake accepts iHeart Radio Innovator Award, recalls when 'they called me weird'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead': First promo's here
- 'Once Upon a Time': Inside ID of Maleficent's child
- iHeart Radio Music Awards winners are...
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!