The influence of Belgian masters Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne’s documentary eye for youth on the margins is evident in Ursula Meier’s calmly heartbreaking drama. Soulful Kacey Mottet Klein (Gainsbourg: A Heroic Life) plays a 12-year-old boy who supports himself and his apathetic, defeated older sister (Léa Seydoux) by stealing ski equipment from rich folks up at a fancy Alpine ski resort, then making his way down the mountain to fence the stuff. The high-low setting effectively reinforces the emotional geography of both lost souls. Gillian Anderson makes a brief, well-placed appearance as one of the rich. A-
SISTER Gillian Anderson and Kacey Mottet Klein
Genre: Drama; Starring: Gillian Anderson, Martin Compston, Kacey Mottet Klein, Lea Seydoux; Director: Ursula Meier; Runtime (in minutes): 97; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Adopt Films
Posted October 19 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Ghostbusters' new car: Paul Feig reveals #whattheygonnadrive
- Gay marriage ruling movie in the works at Fox
- Casting Net: Ellen Page signs on for Iraq War drama Lioness
- Hillary Clinton talks 'SNL' impressions
- Miss USA pageant names new hosts
- Rosie Perez leaving 'The View'
- Jeff Goldblum and wife welcome first son on the only possible day
- 'American Idol Live!' tour photos: Let's go backstage!
- They look like THAT now? See some of the latest child stars all grown up
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- Khloé Kardashian, Paul Rudd, Taylor Swift & More!