The influence of Belgian masters Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne’s documentary eye for youth on the margins is evident in Ursula Meier’s calmly heartbreaking drama. Soulful Kacey Mottet Klein (Gainsbourg: A Heroic Life) plays a 12-year-old boy who supports himself and his apathetic, defeated older sister (Léa Seydoux) by stealing ski equipment from rich folks up at a fancy Alpine ski resort, then making his way down the mountain to fence the stuff. The high-low setting effectively reinforces the emotional geography of both lost souls. Gillian Anderson makes a brief, well-placed appearance as one of the rich. A-
SISTER Gillian Anderson and Kacey Mottet Klein
Genre: Drama; Starring: Gillian Anderson, Martin Compston, Kacey Mottet Klein, Lea Seydoux; Director: Ursula Meier; Release Date Limited: 10/05/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 97; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Adopt Films
Posted October 19 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Science fiction-thriller 'Arrival' to open Fantastic Fest
- 'Scrubs' vet John C. McGinley battles demons in 'Stan Against Evil'
- 'The Girl on the Train': Why Paula Hawkins didn't write the screenplay
- R.E.M. to reissue 'Out of Time' for 25th anniversary
- 'Stranger Things' star sings Amy Winehouse in throwback video
- Katy Perry sends sympathy to 'Catfish' victim: 'My heart goes out to him'
- Kate Beckinsale stars in exclusive 'The Disappointments Room' photos