The influence of Belgian masters Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne’s documentary eye for youth on the margins is evident in Ursula Meier’s calmly heartbreaking drama. Soulful Kacey Mottet Klein (Gainsbourg: A Heroic Life) plays a 12-year-old boy who supports himself and his apathetic, defeated older sister (Léa Seydoux) by stealing ski equipment from rich folks up at a fancy Alpine ski resort, then making his way down the mountain to fence the stuff. The high-low setting effectively reinforces the emotional geography of both lost souls. Gillian Anderson makes a brief, well-placed appearance as one of the rich. A-
SISTER Gillian Anderson and Kacey Mottet Klein
Genre: Drama; Starring: Gillian Anderson, Martin Compston, Kacey Mottet Klein, Lea Seydoux; Director: Ursula Meier; Release Date Limited: 10/05/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 97; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Adopt Films
Posted October 19 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Listen to David Tennant explain Einstein's theory of general relativity
- See the fiery opening title sequence for 'The Shannara Chronicles'
- Daniel Radcliffe is jealous of Eddie Redmayne's 'Fantastic Beasts' costume
- Ron Howard set to direct thriller 'The Girl Before'
- Ice-T and Coco welcome daughter Chanel Nicole
- John Stamos shares high school prom throwback photo
- Chris Miller shares an update on 'The Lego Movie' sequel