There’s no walking in Nobody Walks, because that’s what life in a bubble of privilege looks like in Los Angeles. Or so says hip young New York City-bred filmmaker Ry Russo-Young (You Won’t Miss Me), who, with input from her coscreenwriter, NYC girl-about-town Lena Dunham, creates an inconsequential secular variation on Pier Paolo Pasolini’s more spiritual 1968 Italian film Teorema. Rocking a pixie haircut, an oddly cast Olivia Thirlby arrives — ooh, a mysterious stranger from New York City! — at the home of a movie sound designer (John Krasinski) and his shrink wife (Rosemarie DeWitt) for help in completing her arty video installation about ants. Soon everyone in the design-perfect Silver Lake house is tripped up by out-of-bound lusts. Russo-Young studies the strange species of affluent Angelenus erectus under a microscope that distorts every character into unbelievability. And speaking of ants, their problems don’t amount to a hill of beans. (Also available on VOD) C+
NOBODY WALKS John Krasinski and Olivia Thirlby (Nicholas Trikonis)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Rosemarie DeWitt, John Krasinski, Dylan McDermott, Olivia Thirlby; Director: Ry Russo-Young; Release Date Limited: 10/19/2012; Runtime (in minutes): 82; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Magnolia Pictures
Posted October 20 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 5 best non-singles from Kanye West's 'Late Registration' on its 10th anniversary
- 'Supernatural': Jensen Ackles talks season 11's female big bad
- See the Foo Fighters rock out with Blues Traveler's John Popper
- Hootie explains how he got name-checked in 'Mo Money Mo Problems'
- 9 little-known facts about Rihanna's first album
- Faith-based drama in tight race with 'Straight Outta Compton' at box office
- Liam Payne turns 22! See his most GIF-able moments
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Darius Rucker, Paris Hilton, Nick & Pharrell and More!