In a bit of a departure for John Grisham, his tautly plotted new thriller The Racketeer is pure fiction. ”There is no federal [prison] camp at Frostburg,” he writes in an endnote, ”no uranium lawsuit (yet), no dead judge to inspire me, and no acquaintance in prison scheming to get out, at least not to my knowledge.” Instead, Grisham introduces a small-town Virginia lawyer named Malcolm Bannister, who’s dubiously convicted of money laundering for a drug-lord client, and maps out a revenge plot from his federal penitentiary cell that’s twice as elaborate as the one Alexandre Dumas cooked up in The Count of Monte Cristo. Like many a Grisham hero, Mal is a legal insider who knows how to work the system to his advantage. He’s also a peculiarly lone wolf, willing to shed all his family ties in pursuit of a very long and entertaining con. A-
The RacketeerIn a bit of a departure for John Grisham, his tautly plotted new thriller The Racketeer is pure fiction. ''There is no federal [...The RacketeerJohn GrishamIn a bit of a departure for John Grisham, his tautly plotted new thriller The Racketeer is pure fiction. ''There is no federal [...2012-10-26Doubleday
LONE WOLF The fictional thriller follows a dubiously convicted man's plot for revenge
Author: John Grisham; Publisher: Doubleday
Posted January 17 2015 — 5:04 PM EST
- Jon Stewart explains why he quit 'The Daily Show'
- Jason Sudeikis looks back at 'SNL' and ahead towards 'Fletch'
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!