On Thursday, Ancestry.com revealed that George Clooney is related to our very own 16th president, one Abraham Lincoln (not the vampire hunter). Indeed, the silver fox (by which I refer to Lincoln, of course) is the half-first cousin five times removed of ER’s most handsome doctor.
What does this mean in the grand scheme of things? Absolutely nothing, except you know Daniel Day-Lewis is jealous. (The Lincoln star embodies the 16th president in every way save for one – BLOOD.) But in honor of this revelation, we’ve assembled a list of seven other celebrities with famous ancestors so you can keep up with your VIP bloodlines. Check it out* below:
1. Jake Gyllenhaal (and Maggie, I suppose) are related to King Edward III of England.
2. Clint Eastwood is descended from Henry I of England.
3. Helena Bonham Carter is the great granddaughter of H.H. Asquith, the Prime Minister of the Britain from 1908 to 1916.
4. Tom Hanks is a triple threat: he’s related to Lincoln, Herbert Hoover and King John of England. (So is Hanks related to Clooney?!)
5. Justin Bieber is related to Canada’s earliest settlers and he’s 11th cousins once removed with Ryan Gosling!
6. Stephen Colbert shares a bloodline with Queen Noor of Jordan, but more importantly, he’s related to Meryl Streep!
7. Paris Hilton is descended from Henry II, as is Richard Nixon. Hmm… I wonder what went wrong there.
*If you’re one of the powerless Northeast residents sleeping in an ushanka (I may or may not have done this last night), I urge you to conserve your cell phone’s battery power to load a more important page than this one.
George Clooney sings ‘Sweet Caroline’ with Neil Diamond – VIDEO
George Clooney? Robert Pattinson? Ryan Lochte? Chris Harrison talks the next ‘Bachelor’
George Clooney in FarmVille? EW talks to FarmVille designers about FarmVille 2 – EXCLUSIVE