Hallucinations are often signs that something’s wrong, that we’re injured or crazy, or that we’ve ingested something we shouldn’t have. Sacks’ elegant new study dispels fallacies and quashes stigmas about the phenomenon, saying that hallucinations are ”an essential part of the human condition.” He presents diverse case studies of varying severity — from migraine sufferers who see cool shapes to a marathon runner who gets abducted by aliens — and convincingly argues that throughout history, hallucinations have been vital to mythmaking and religious experience. Reading so many deeply bizarre personal accounts of seeing things that aren’t there can get tiresome — it’s like listening to people describe dreams. But at its best, Hallucinations is an absorbing plunge into a mystery of the mind. B+
HallucinationsHallucinations are often signs that something's wrong, that we're injured or crazy, or that we've ingested something we shouldn't have. Sacks' elegant new...HallucinationsNonfictionOliver SacksHallucinations are often signs that something's wrong, that we're injured or crazy, or that we've ingested something we shouldn't have. Sacks' elegant new...2012-11-02Knopf
MYSTERY OF THE MIND Sacks argues that hallucinations are vital to mankind
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Oliver Sacks; Publisher: Knopf
Posted November 2 2012 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'AHS: Hotel': Ryan Murphy shares three super creepy teasers
- Casting Net: Missi Pyle, Joey Lawrence hit horse rescue drama 'Emma's Chance'
- Rick Ross announces new album will be released this week
- Kesha to guest-star on 'Jane the Virgin'
- 'Dancing With the Stars': Peta Murgatroyd to skip season due to injury
- Jack Black wants to tell you a story in the new 'Goosebumps' trailer
- Wes Craven's 5 most terrifying scenes
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!